1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check if Program is a password stealer, Without a Program

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by II_warlord_II, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. II_warlord_II

II_warlord_II Level III

1. Go To Your Control Panel and Click 'Folder Options'. If you dont see Folder Options click 'Switch to Classic View' and then look for it.

2. Click the 'Tools' tab in the Folder Options window.

3. Uncheck the 'Hide Extensions for known file types' box, and Click 'OK'.

4. Rename the file you suspect of being a password stealer and rename the file so it becomes a .txt file.

Example:
    ABER.exe would be renamed to ABER.txt

5. Open the txt file and click 'Edit' then 'Find'

6. Search for "@ . c o m" or " . c o m" and look for an email address. If you see something like "h a c k e r @ y a h o o . c o m" it is probably a password stealer. If you dont find an email address search for ". c o m" and look for words like " f a k e m a i l e r . c o m". You have to look around yourself and judge yourself if its a password stealer, in most cases its obvious. The only . c o m's you should see are for neopets.com!

Note: Not 100% work

joeharrymoma and junkant like this.
  2. Virre

Virre Level IV

Haha, I was going to prove you wrong by checking the AU for ".com" and find the authorization process but it didn't show up. As you say, there really is no need for a program (at least not an auto buyer) to contain that. Good job, I hope this will spread to the neoboards so that we get more members since the programs here can be proven to be legit. ;)

3. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

That's a simple, but very basic way for checking. But FYI, its not foolproof. Someone could very easily encrypt the email address and decrypt at run-time, thus not showing up in the executable.
    The best way (that's not over-the-top for the average user) is to use a packet sniffer like Wireshark and look for stray packets.

4. II_warlord_II

II_warlord_II Level III

it work for some prog...
    "neopet12hacker" you need to stop spamming

5. junkant

junkant Level III

Awesome, very informative.
    Did not know this before.
    Thank you.
    +rep

6. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Yeah, most people won't encrypt their Strings :p
    Just press the report button if someone is spamming or otherwise doing something against the rules ;)

7. II_warlord_II

II_warlord_II Level III

I u this method to check some prog:
    Vibe autobuyer (fakemailer)
    Lime autbuyer (fakemailer)

I got 2accounts stolen of me.
    lesson here is: EVER DOWNLOAD FREE PROG!

its rare to find password stealer prog with ecy.
    some of them just can't be bother doing so

8. Chris

Chris Level II

For anyone having issues finding folder options:

Step 1:

Open any folder.

Step 2:

Look on the toolbar for Tools.

Step 3:

Click the dropdown box, and select folder options ftw.

(my ftw's are always short for "for the win," incase anyone was wondering. The other involves the world I've heard lol.)

Hope this helps out with easily locating the folder options tab. I'm actually not really sure where to locate it at in the Control Panel, although I wouldn't mind knowing. As far a PW stealers, and cookie grabbers go, I believe this site to be full of great, bug-free programs, so I'm not really worried about it anymore.

;)

I also appreciate the tip, it's very handy to know. As the other users have stated, some programs use encrypted data, does this make it impossible to detect, or not, and what might you suggest to avoid, and/or detect this..? I only ask because I'm a paranoid person o_O .. sometimes.

9. ub0r

ub0r Level III

Thanks, but give credit for guides you've stolen :/

-blocked-.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57415&st=0&p=448262&#entry448262

Good intentions, but please do not link to or discuss other forums in the same genre as NF. :)

10. Knux

Knux Level I

Wish I knew before I lost my account :(

11. domini212

domini212 Level III

me2 I lost my account this way.. is there anyway to remove password stealers in these programs

12. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're a very good programmer, yes. But I'm betting most people aren't :p Trust that all the programs on this site are safe- they're checked and approved by mods before releasing to the public. So no need to worry! But don't trust any files you receive in your email, pms, or especially from the crazy internet world. 99% of these are filled with keyloggers, viruses, spyware, etc.

13. Carletto

Carletto Level II

Agree... Expecially the programs coming from fake forums, fake blog entries and more fake-things.

Removing a pass-stealer is hard, you need to decompile the program and it's not so easy :( it's better using programs coming from Neofriends :) they are safe, always updated and full of features!

Why looking for more programs?!?

14. cooldude1234

cooldude1234 Level I

Interesting...

So all the programs on neofriends are safe right :eek:

15. joeharrymoma

joeharrymoma Newbie

Great, now I can prove those scammers wrong and won't loose my account like I have in the past :lol: So thanks! +rep for this good guide xD
    Please don't gravedig. In the future check the date of the last post to avoid it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.