Deadly Artillery attack on South Korea

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by statter, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

Yonhap News Agency is the only[1] news agency of South Korea. It is publicly-funded, based in the capital Seoul, South Korea, and supplies domestic and foreign news and information to newspaper and TV broadcast and other media in South Korea.

Wow. Its the ONLY news outlet and its state-run. This is what many Americans are paranoid of. It must be easy to control the population in South Korea.

2. bill293

bill293 Newbie

Doesnt North Korea have soldiers currently training with the South Korean soldiers in South Korea?

3. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

hahha i really really doubt that, since people arent let of north korea, and because NK is crazy

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

Maybe but that seems unlikely as their relations with each other were never great.

5. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

yeah, i'd say no0 chance since they are at war haha, just thought about that lol

6. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

Well, they're only at war recently. Also, is it even a "war" yet? Isn't it just an exchange of artillery shells? Isn't this regular in the Israeli-Palestinian region?

7. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

hahah no. The Korean War has been going on since 1950

8. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

.... The Korean War ended with an armistice in 1953.

Did you think they were nonstop fighting this whole time?

9. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

no, an armistice does not stop a war, it stops the fighting, it is saying we won't shoot each other. A treaty ends a war.

10. statter

statter Level II

PrinceErik is right, the Korean War was from 1950 until now. That is why there is conscription in both Koreas, because the war has not ended yet

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

It was a cold war if anything; there was no fighting between the two countries after the ceasefire until now. Just because a country practices conscription doesn't mean its at war. Singapore practices conscription as well and it is not involved with any war.

12. Lully

Lully Level I

This is just another cold war...
    There won't be a real war unless they can neutralize the mass destruction weapons first. Furthermore, no country will risk to even support neither one of the Koreas, with the threat to have an atomic bomb against them.

13. RRRJ

RRRJ Level I

I highly doubt the NK will do anything further, if they dont want to risk the end of their regime

14. statter

statter Level II

Prodigy, I am pretty sure that the Korean War started from 1950 until now. Every country has different reasons for conscription, and Korea's reason is that the war has still been going on.

15. dk8932

dk8932 Level I

I just hope more people dont get hurt...I'm suppose to visit my step siblings back in Seoul ;/

16. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

No. There was no fighting at after the ceasefire until now. Going by the logic that a war cannot be ended without a formal resolution declaring it to be so, then the Cold War is still going on, but it isn't. It ended with the fall of the Soviet Union.

17. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

yes. The war still goes on. It is still a war even though there is no fighting. And you are wrong again. The cold war wasn't actually a war. And the dissolving of a nation would be considered an official end if it were a war

18. Prodigy

Prodigy Level II

The nation didn't "dissolve"; power was just shifted inside of it.

If a war doesn't require fighting, then explain to me why the Cold War wasn't a war.

19. RRRJ

RRRJ Level I

I think major cities like Seoul should be fine.. it was just the islands and coasts near the army drills that were being targeted.. but right now, thank god for diplomacy

20. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

the nation dissolved and a new one was created in it. And because there was no declaration of war, therefore, no war.