1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cris_, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diomedes

Diomedes Level I

Without compassion there would be more suffering...

2. Virre

Virre Level IV

Just a tip; google the teodicé problem. It sums that up very good. =)

But that's not the religion's fault, that's humans fault.
    The wars and conflicts you speak of has nothing to do with the actual religion(/s). Religion is only used as a pretext to justify and get more support for one's side.
    That's all about humans abusing power, not religion abusing it.

Saddam for example, wasn't a faithful muslim.
    He did start ending his speaches refer to parts of the Koran.
    This, abuse of power (as many previous leaders have done through history) didn't actually have anything to do with the religion.

Religion can be very healthy if used correctly.
    Personally I think being self-confident and able to make moral decisions is enough for me, I don't need a God to turn to.
    But I wouldn't like to stand on the gate to heaven/paradise/the paradise in west and go "D'oh!". I'd rather be open to all possibilities without choosing a specific belief =)

3. pakkiu

pakkiu Level I

i dont believe in god

4. Diomedes

Diomedes Level I

If God interferred with our lives in this kind of way. It defeats the purpose of free will....

5. Cris_

Cris_ Level II

Yeah, I think I may have expressed myself wrong...I'm aware that it's not religion's fault but man's fault since most religions don't incentive violence etc but to love your "brother"...I think what is confusing in my statement is the that's what I'm talking about and the quote =/

What you said just now is something really important, that you should be able to make moral deicisions without the need to turn to god.
    Also,even if you believe in god you should not wait for him to make your life better, that's something my grandmother used to do..."If it's god will" was her favorite sentence (well not exactly that since she didn't speak english lol)

EDIT: Tarla is giving items just now :) Got a Darigan Petpet Paint Brush...

6. woooot

woooot Level II

I believe in God and Jesus.

7. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

-_-

I think organized religion is evil and will be the end of us. Religion was made by man and is so contradictory it's ridiculous. If believing in God works for you I think it's fine but the fact is that wars are started over money or religion. I think it has it's perks but the pitfalls are catastrophic and most religions don't even practice what they preach. I don't believe there is God and I don't back life up with science, I don't know what I believe but I know what I don't. I think religion is most effective when it's used as a sort of guide book to live your life by but even then people see things differently in the same religion and some will kill or die for the littlest difference.

8. pandahorde

pandahorde Level IV

God is the one who created the world in 7 dayas "like bible says.. in genesis the creation"

and God has a Son name Jesus who died for us to the cross.
    So i really believe in God (PS: I BELIEVE IN BIBLE )

9. Virre

Virre Level IV

Re: -_-

No war has ever been started by religion.
    Claiming otherwise is only ignorance.
    Fact is that even most suicide bombers aren't religious.
    And the crusades had nothing to do with the religion, it was only to strengthen the power in the affected countries.
    Name one war that actually has something to do with a religion and isn't just using it as a pretext.

10. joeyc

joeyc Newbie

i believe that there is a higher power but the whole issue of there being a God has been manipulated by man's wanting to have a written reason for everything...

11. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

-_-

The term religious war exists for a reason wiki it and there is a list that dosn't include.

In Tudor times thousands of people were burned at the stake for being protestant by Bloody Mary

Witch hunts were triggered by over superstitious religious people.

Religion is a hot topic and wars are started because of it

And murders are even more common even Jesus himself was killed for preaching against the religion of the time!

This isn't the reason I don't believe in religion. I'm not sure if I don't believe in religion I just know I don't believe in Christianity. I especially don't believe in Catholicism. Jesus taught the help the poor and the Vatican is directly against it. How much is it worth? And people are starving on the steps of it.

I don't even get the pope isn't he a false idol? where is the pope in the bible?

12. Virre

Virre Level IV

Re: -_-

Can't seem to find that list.
    It does say that the Crusades were religious wars, but they were not.
    The Crusades was only cloaked as a religious war to justify it.
    The real reason for the Pope to start the war was to use the aggression and hunger for land of noblemen who were running short on it, to restore the community peace of Europe and avoid further conflicts. This was really nothing more than politics.

The people who participated in both of the persecutions that you mentioned were lead to belive it was right. They were implemented to keep control of the people, to keep away new opinions. They had not much to do witch actual religion, again it was only used as an excuse to justify them. They needed an enemy, and since the idea of nationalism was not yet born they hade to find other scapegoats.

It's not simple, 'religious wars' are far more complex than being just about religion.

Mose killed a guy too :lol:
    But the reason to kill Jesus was to avoid him stealing the throne.

That I agree with, although many religious profiles have helped human beings throughout the history, some of the major authorities has not taken their responsibility.

And the Pope isn't mentioned in the bible as you say, he is only a religious leader for cultural reasons.

13. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

%

I get what your saying but even wars cloaked with religion deep down had to have something to do with religion. Any war is going to get the winner land or money anyway.

14. Virre

Virre Level IV

The thing that concern me the most at the moment, are these Evangelical Christian boot camps that has been popping up in the US.
    If anyone has seen the documentary 'Jesus Camp', you know what I'm talking about.
    The leaders hope that these kids one day will sacrifice themself for their faith, becoming sucide bombers or such.
    It's really frightening to see them performing stick dances and such.
    The trailer can be found here.
    And the kids are very smart, they are incredible smart and good with words. One of the kids that the documentary focus on could easily become a politician or a speech writer, but they're all being brainwashed.

15. brsana

brsana Level II

woh, i havent heard of that before...

16. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

-.-

It's interesting to put an extremist view on Christianity because it is rarely done. There was a documentary over here about "America's most hated family" the "God hates America/Fags" brigade. That documentary was scary but it put my mind to rest to see the amount of abuse they received because obviously people feel strongly against their views. From what the trailer shows it's just like church the references used are really common but all the kids putting their hands up saying thy would die for Jesus freaked me out.

Wow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PyoUPcobA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.