1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think gaming is an addiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by assasin, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmyNR

AmyNR Level I

People can definitely be addicted to gaming. When I was younger I was on neopets NON STOP. I took off from school and wouldn't leave it for HOURS.

2. domini212

domini212 Level III

anything overdone that interferes with your mental/physical health is an addiction.

3. Arkley

Arkley Level III

You misunderstand entirely. There is a difference between "missing" a naturally produced chemical once it has dissipated and chemical dependence. Chemical dependence is characterised by the onset of withdrawal symptoms in its absence; those addicted to lighter drugs such as nicotine and caffeine will experience headaches and irritability, and possibly involuntary shaking or shivering. Those trying to quit harder drugs such as heroine and meth will experience searing pain all over their bodies, constant vomiting, hallucinations and even death as the body simply shuts down due to the absence of a substance it has come to recognise as vital.

None of these things effect video gamers, over eaters or those addicted to other sources of endorphins, such as self mutilation. That's not to say they won't shake or be irritable or depressed mind you, but this will be due to psychological dependence, rather than the absence of a chemical.

Compare it to the way people can become "addicted" to each other. Young, new lovers often cite aching hearts, shortness of breath and fatigue in the extended absence of their partner. None of these are caused by any actual physical problem as with chemical addiction, but rather by psychological dependence.

4. johnyboy2157

johnyboy2157 Newbie

Yah i think so on the basis of my personal experiences that it is not only a type 0of addiction but it will create some complicated problems in your life. So i think the society , as a whole, collectively start a huge campaign against such non-productive activities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.