1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat people on planes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Actually they do. That's also why they make it more expensive if you take more luggage with you than allowed.

2. Jane

Jane Level IV

Sorry, I just laughed when I first saw this thread.
    Too be honest I don't care unless it bothers me. But I haven't witnessed a fat person on an airplane yet so I can't say anything.
    I just hope they don't bring the plane down.

3. Lexicon

Lexicon Level I

create clearly labeled fat section! problem solved!

4. cozetta

cozetta Level I

That seems a little too much like segregation...
    If I was fat and wasn't allowed to go sit with everyone else because of it, I would feel so depressed, it's not even funny. Just because they're not an "acceptable weight" doesn't mean they're not human...they still have feelings. :|

I'm still staying with the extra cash from fat people to fly.

5. Lexicon

Lexicon Level I

Haha I was joking. If they ever do make a section like this im sure god will smite me with a glandular problem and seat me next to the OP.

The Irony would be palpable.

6. Airuku

Airuku Level I

Eh, I think people should just suck it up and quite whining. I mean, should we start charging tall peple as well?

I'm not fat myself, I'm actually underweight, and I've also been stuck in a planeseat between two very large men. Sure, I wasuncomfortable, but it wasn't torture. The guys even joked about me being stuck between them. I hate the thought of more regulations and rules. It just makes a simple thing mor ecomplex than it has any business being.

7. greightone

greightone Level II

The two fatties must not have been sweating like the ones I was wedged between. No offense fat people, but your hygiene can be sub-par. And how complex would it really be in a business sense to charge people by size? If anything it would boost sales by making people purchase adjacent seats, when in other words the plane might not be completely full.

8. Patty

Patty Level III

they should build wider seats like roller coaster :p

9. Airuku

Airuku Level I

Eh, I don't think I felt the cleanest after that experience, not sure how much they were sweating though.

It's more complex in the sense that they're going to change their whole system of pricing tickets. Imagine buying tickets online, you know a ton of people saying they're less than they are and try and loss it before the trip, or maybe they'll actually gain weight? I guess they could just add a fee if you weigh I certai namount when you get there, but wouldn't weighing everyone lead to longer lines and more time going through boring airport procedures? They might as well weigh your carry on too, then measure it to see how much space it takes up. The airlines keep adding charges as it is, why give them another?

10. morgan11

morgan11 Newbie

i think that it is discrimanting but, on the other hand since it isnt like they cant change their pudgy selfs
    myabe we should make a special section on the plane for people who are overweight i mean we already have class seperation why not wweight seperation too. yeah know

11. gugubee557

gugubee557 Level II

I think they shouldn't.

Personally, most of the fat people are born fat and they can't change that. Because of that, they are pointed out in the society. Atleast, we should consider them normal people, which means to pay for one seat and not two.

12. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

i think that they definitely should have to pay for multiple seats. The people sitting next to them aren't getting the space they paid for and also, maybe this would give fat people a reason to lose weight. If they don't want to pay for two tickets, then lose weight

13. CrC

CrC Level II

Like someone has already said... It would be discrimination... It is the same exact thing as if they told a gay person/ black person/ Muslim / atheist / or any other minority (well obesity isnt really a minority, but that would be arguing semantics). Anyway, 1 ticket even if they spill over to another seat.

14. btr3s

btr3s Level II

I haven't sat beside anyone fat in a plane trip.
    I couldn't imagine how it would feel though, probably uncomfortable.

15. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

It wouldn't be discrimination. You are born black or white, you aren't born fat. Being fat is actually something you have control over.

16. gugubee557

gugubee557 Level II

Sometimes, people aren't born fat, but they are gonna be fat later.

Personally, I have a friend that exercises everyday, does sports and eats well, and he is still fat.
    Some times, you can't change anything about your fatness.

17. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

Yeah, there is some gene for that. But that only makes people gain something like 3 kg on average.

18. gugubee557

gugubee557 Level II

Then my friend must be an alien. B)

19. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

agreed. and also, it isn't discrimination because all they would be doing is make you pay for the space you are taking, which they have every right to do

20. John

John Level IV

Not telling because you'll just be jealous psshh..
    Luckily, being 11, I've always sat with my family, and none of them are fat :p
    And if you're fat, it's your problem. So if you want to make yourself fat, then it's a consequence (along with many others) you have to face. Basically the same point as what's been pointed out before, but I agree.