1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God or evolution ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, Oct 10, 2007.

?

God or evolution ?

1. God

49 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Both

66 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Evolution

108 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Brixtrim

Brixtrim Newbie

i say both because assuming that god is all knowing and all powerful and he did create everything with a specific purpose then logically it makes sense that his creatures would be able to adapt and all evolution is is adaptation of long periods of times.

Please don't gravedig - Commy

2. babykougra

babykougra Newbie

evolution so because god is a made up fariy tale for babys that belive
    evolution is true becuse its a matter of change over time not just magicly making something just come out of no where [...]

3. silence

silence Level I

this thread is in every debate forum i have been to...

i got tired of prooving my point, you can't change people's beliefs, no matter how solid your argument is

4. Patty

Patty Level III

evolution is supported by scientific facts
    god is a belief, there is no actual proof that god exists

i believe in what is true so evolution all the way

5. tampatbbucs44

tampatbbucs44 Level I

Evolution
    It makes sense. I honestly just can't wrap my head around the idea of a higher being able to create the amazing world that we live in today,

6. mooseshrooms

mooseshrooms Newbie

I believe a kind of mix between the two.
    I believe in evolution, but thats not to say that it wasnt God who causes evolution.
    The whole 'let there be light' thing may have been a reference to the big bang, who knows?

7. lanabubalo13

lanabubalo13 Level II

I'm an evolution-ite.

My theory on God is that when crisis occurs, it's human nature for people to want to find someone to blame. Who do they blame? God. Also, humans always want to have some form of hope, even if they're completely screwed. Who do they rely on for hope? God.

8. Will

Will Level IV

.. So you're not a believer in evolution..?

Or are you saying that evolution is true, and that people just believe in a God to compensate for their insecurities?

9. mooseshrooms

mooseshrooms Newbie

I think they're saying the latter. Its easier for humans to believe that they are not alone to do what they please and that their life has been mapped out for them by something bigger. Personally I find it slightly creepy to think I don't really have a say in what I do, but thats just me.

10. Will

Will Level IV

It is incredibly creepy when you think about that. That's why I hate the whole concept of fate and destiny - that, essentially, you cannot control how your life pans out.

11. mooseshrooms

mooseshrooms Newbie

I think they're saying the latter. Its easier for humans to believe that they are not alone to do what they please and that their life has been mapped out for them by something bigger. Personally I find it slightly creepy to think I don't really have a say in what I do, but thats just me.[/quote]

It is incredibly creepy when you think about that. That's why I hate the whole concept of fate and destiny - that, essentially, you cannot control how your life pans out.[/quote]

If it were discovered to be true it would essentially destroy religion, as people would believe that they really had no choice and they were either supposed to be a good person or bad person, and therefore it would not only be life controlled, our afterlife would be chosen for us too. To think we are all merely puppets is just... scary -shudders-

12. Will

Will Level IV

It is incredibly creepy when you think about that. That's why I hate the whole concept of fate and destiny - that, essentially, you cannot control how your life pans out.[/quote]

If it were discovered to be true it would essentially destroy religion, as people would believe that they really had no choice and they were either supposed to be a good person or bad person, and therefore it would not only be life controlled, our afterlife would be chosen for us too. To think we are all merely puppets is just... scary -shudders-[/quote]

I don't think it would destroy it. It could even make it stronger, because often fate and destiny are linked to god.

13. d600

d600 Level II

definately evolution! but i still believe that God exists

14. Arkley

Arkley Level III

To outright deny the possibility of a higher power is ignorant, but that being said, I certainly don't believe any higher power such as the one described in any self-contradicting holy book. The thought of a caring, loving, benevolent God is indeed a nice and comforting one, but the thought of a God that demands we amputate the hands of petty thieves and stone to death women who have sec out of wedlock is not a pleasent though at all.

15. nazze

nazze Level I

i believe in evolution withing classes (no duh), but changing species over time is a little much for me.

I also believe that God started it all, and though religion may be tainted by man, I am a christian. And all the apparent inconsistencies of God can be explained.

edit: lol, i said religion may be tainted by evolution. whoops.

16. Arkley

Arkley Level III

You know, if there's one thing I do like about the Bible it's the things Jesus supposedly said and did. Okay, I don't believe he performed the supernatural miracles, but there's a lot of good in the wisdom attributed to him. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, turn the other cheek, love thy neighbour, forgive eachother, and so on. He certainly didn't go around telling people to sever the hands of thieves. If virtually every message delivered by Jesus wasn't contradicted at some point in the Bible by other men, either before or after his time, then I'd probably look on the Bible a lot more favourably.

17. roflcopter567

roflcopter567 Newbie

Im kinda in the middle I beleive in both god and evolution

18. nazze

nazze Level I

I've explained one apparent contradiction in the correlation of his teachings and the old testament.

You really cannot always expect the leaders of a religion to reflect the religion itself as we are all human, and some of us corrupt.

So I am just curious about what other contradictions involving Jesus' teaching that you are so turned off by.

I know you've given me a lengthy list of a bunch of minor inconsistencies that are mostly in the old testament (which I will definitely get around to replying to when I have some time btw), but I am asking about what other Biblical references contradict specifically Jesus' teaching

And also, you last contradiction on the list of your first post is not what I am asking for. I have explained that in the post right above your huge list. If you need me to do it again/more efficiently, I'd be happy to oblige, but just don't list that one or any others that are already answered in the previously referenced post.

19. migratory

migratory Level I

im pretty sure it would have to be both...
    science and evolution make logical sense, but god and religion keep people in line
    cuz the idea of heaven and hell makes law and order possible

20. satenschild5

satenschild5 Level I

evolution for sure there is in no way a single man created the universe if thats the case who created god evolution?