1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[GUIDE] MS Paint Like A Pro!

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Guides' started by Tally, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Tally

Tally Level III

Tally's Microsoft Paint Guide

Introduction
    In this guide I will be showing you the techniques I use when drawing in MS Paint. You will need to practice in order to acheave good results, you will also need patience. To begin a drawing, you must first decide what you're going to draw, wether it's a picture you like, or something you want to create. In this case I'm going to draw Leonadis, from "300" because that movie rocks!

Step 1-Basic Sketch
    [​IMG]

In this step you should choose a light color, I prefer light grey. Begin by sketching a simple shape (should look kind of like a Scrible). This is just to give an idea of the position and layout of you drawing, these lines will later be erased.

Step 2-Final Out-Line
    [​IMG]

Select the black color at this point. In this step go over your previous guidelines, and add some detail. This should be you final tamplete befove coloring, so try to make it look as good as possible.

Step 3-Removing The First Guide-lines.
    [​IMG]

This a fairly quick step. All you need to do is erase the first guidelines. To do this, select the eraser tool. On the color toolbar right click white, and left click the color you used for your first guideline. Press Ctrl + on your Num Pad to make the Eraser bigger. Now erase your guidlines by using the eraser, BUT be careful don't erase by using the left mouse button, insted use the right button, this will erase the grey and leave the black lines.

Shading Styles

Before we move on to the final Step, here are the to main ways of shading in MS Paint. They each have a different effect, which one you use is up to you.

Clean & Neat

[​IMG]

Rough & Ruggued

[​IMG]

Step 4-Shading

[​IMG]

This is your final step, and usually the most challenging, so you have to take your time on it. Once you've chosen your shading technique, you can begin. Start with the drak, and work your way to the light. My drawing turned out ok, but it was pretty small, so I didn't have to many pixels to work with.

The End

Hope you like this tutorial, and I hope you use it :p. Comments and questions are welcomed. Also if there is anything I missed, or if there is anything you want me to add feel free to post it.

Ps. I hope this is on the right board :p.​

1337 likes this.
  2. Sigh

Sigh Level I

Re: [GUIDE} MS Paint Like A Pro!

Is that drawing of Sparta really by you? It's an awesome drawing on MS Paint.. :D

3. Tally

Tally Level III

Re: [GUIDE} MS Paint Like A Pro!

Yup, all done by me, and thank you, I'm glad you like it :)

Mods? Is this Guide good enough for a Sticky?

4. ceneret0023

ceneret0023 Level III

this is a great guide alas things such as drawing ultimately come down to natural talent. It's very tough to actually "teach" somebody how to draw :( but still great guide and hopefully somebody will be able to use it :)

@ your sticky comment i can tell you right now that it's not. Very few graphics guides are good enough for a sticky, and very few guides in general are good enough for a sticky.

5. Tally

Tally Level III

Yeah, I know what you mean, I was just trying to help people use Paint, as for the talent part, they have to workfor that.

Yeah the sticky was a long shot XD.

6. Andromeda

Andromeda Level I

You're ridiculous, I'd never have the patience for this.

7. ceneret0023

ceneret0023 Level III

lol either way it's still a really great guide :) i wasn't trying to sound like a total douche... just pointing out the facts :yup:

8. Tally

Tally Level III

lol, no worries :) and thank you.

9. Jane

Jane Level IV

Wow, that's awesome. *___*

I'll never look at MS Paint like I did before now.

10. Rena

Rena Level III

Wow, I used to think that Paint was an amateur programme, but now I think otherwise.
    You are awesome! Thank you so much ;D

11. Hannah_Wentz

Hannah_Wentz Level I

This is AMZAZING! You are phenomenal at drawing! Whenever I try to draw something it ends up looking at something that you'd find stuck to the bottom of your shoe (random comparison I know xP). Do you have a stylus? Because my only excuse is that I have a laptop mouse. Hehe.

12. Tally

Tally Level III

lol, thank you. I use a mouse, but it took me a while to get use to it, so don't get discouraged. :)

13. Hannah_Wentz

Hannah_Wentz Level I

Haha I kniw I'm terrible at art xD I mean I can't even do decent art for a pet app lol. And that's really impressive that you did it with a mouse!

14. Charzz

Charzz Level I

Thats awesome *_*
    But its like 80% talent, 20% instruction :p
    Still cool though.

15. donjuantriumphs

Nice guide, I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag, I usually have to do it pixel-by-pixel in photoshop and whatnot, which takes a million years to do. Good guide though! I will definitely use this.

16. BlazinDivah

BlazinDivah Level III

tally: Under your second spoiler youve got "it should king of look like a scrible" I think you mean: "It should kind of look like a scribble"
    other then that. Nice guide.. maybe ill even try.
    I also cant draw my way out of a wet paper bag XD lol

Nice work :D

17. Tally

Tally Level III

lol, thx for the heads up, I'll fix that.

18. BlazinDivah

BlazinDivah Level III

Ohh notta problem at all :p
    Just thought id point it out ;)

19. 1337

1337 Level II

...Wow. This guide is epic. But how did you do the lines? Did you just use straight lines or a mouse just scribbling or something?

20. Tally

Tally Level III

First of thx:p

For the initial grey lines that you see, I simply scribbled them on, untill I got a desired shape, and then for the final black lines I used mostly the straight line, and curvy line tools. Hope this helps a bit.