Harry Potter Online (multiplayer online game)

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by toesocks, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Re: Currently working on my own game (ORPG)

That sounds really awesome! Any plans to upgrade the graphics engine eventually?

2. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

wow this looks great, if you need any graphical help let me know. eg. like graphics for a website and what not.

3. AcidSpiral

AcidSpiral Level I

:D Be sure to let me know as soon as a public or beta is released! I want to get an edge and go all psychobastard on everyone.

4. toesocks

toesocks Level I

hey, sorry for the short reply, but i've lost my internet, it won't be back 'til wednesday, when hopefully a quick public test will be ready.

been working on some small improvements, hopefully they'll be ready for then, i'm always interested in help with graphics, the easiest method is to update existing graphics than to add new ones as it means fixing something in the server that i don't know how lol but i'll get round to it sometime

any ideas for features are gratefully welcomed

wish me luck without internet for almost 4 days! eek!!

5. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Ok, looking forward for the updates on this ORPG! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    I wanna be part in it! :D

6. Shawn

Shawn Level IV

This turns me on >:)
    I'm excited and I just happen to have a starter HP fanforum up.

I'd love to beta test the game and discuss the possibility of a link up
    PM me if interested ;)

7. toesocks

toesocks Level I

hey, i'm always looking for affiliates :)

some good news on the internet front: getting the router/modem tomorrow or tuesday, i'll be able to, then, host very small test servers

for now i'm using a dongle to get online, it's almost killing me how slow it is, and even worse is the face that im using a netbook that's so small i can't type lol

tonight i'm improving the houses (i.e. school houses) so they're much better for the long term

also, i'm changing the graphics for the wands into something much cooler that looks better for the wands lol

what else... erm... theres a new hunting place in the works, but that won't be out until september lol

well... wish me luck... i have a secret new feature to add and i'm going back to work :p cya all :)

8. toesocks

toesocks Level I

well todays plan is to re-make some of the systems, i'm changing the spell system so that you learn the spells from books. for example you need Standard Book Of Spells I to learn the basic spells, then II for more advanced, then III for even more advanced, or that's the plan anyway lol tell me what you think about the idea

next job: more map! the map's never big enough for me lol

wish me luck ;)

9. toesocks

toesocks Level I

sadly i've got no work done 'cos i need some online resources, and even worse news: no test server until at least the 23rd.

but there are some big plans for some big changes, keep patient, please ;)

what else there is (being worked on):
    website integration
    item auctions on the website (you can sell anything you want!)
    quidditch games including a tournament and betting (no real system but i'll post odds and host bets)
    house points and prizes - the house that donates the most tokens will gain entry to a special hunting area and so on
    portrait shortcuts - when you go to certain portraits and say the password you'll be teleported to the place it ends up at
    affiliate program with competitions and ways to earn/spend game money for stuff in the forums
    VIP and Premium accounts - you can purchase a premium account with in-game money, which allows you to skip login queues and access to special areas and spells, VIP accounts are one stage up from that, giving even more advntages, but these are only given out to certain people

lots of work to be done, hopefully i'll be able to get the work done on time for the test server, wish me luck :)

10. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Good luck, I'm looking forward to try it :D <3

11. toesocks

toesocks Level I

well today i've almost finished improving the Woodcutting system, now you can cut Magic Trees, but it has a 1 in 5 chance of the tree being fully chopped down (kinda Runescape style), some small bugs to fix in that still but it looks pretty good so far

improved the map and added more to the new secret hunting location i've been working on :p

i've improved some other stuff, but not too much today, couldn't get into the flow today :S

i have loads of ideas, just lack the time to do them lol and lack internet for references of how to do them lol

12. toesocks

toesocks Level I

well more progress made, map fixes made, more things to do made.

last night i finally fixed the tree regrowing problem, here's how the woodcutting task works:
    1. you buy an axe from the shop (Marcus is the npc)
    2. you use the axe on the tree until you obtain some wood
    3. you then buy a knife (or use one you have) on the wood to get cleaned wood
    4. buy/use a saw on that wood to make wooden planks

so what's the point in these planks?
    you can sell them to my shop which makes wands for 10gp each (bring me 100 and i give you a bonus 25%)
    you can sell them to the broom shop owner (no owner yet!!) or perhaps exchange them for a broom!
    some more tasks coming soon

and that's just woodcutting... lol

next skill you can do: Cooking
    you can take ingredients such as grapes, which are obtainable easily in game or from shops, or even use your couldron on monsters such as Rotworms to get juice from them to go get the other ingredients from them too

cooked food heals much more than regular food, so i can see people buying the food by the tonne ;)

well that's about all there is to say today, as soon as i get internet back i'll finish quiddich and we can have a mini tournament :) prizes will be given, even an expensive broom to the winning team, losing teams will receive a basic broom too :) (brooms go in the boots slot on your character, they increase your speed by the amount of levels it says, for example the Firebolt increases your speed by 75 levels... you can see how this can be useful in hunting and so on ;) )

wish me luck :D

13. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

just fyi when posting updates, just edit your first post because you are majorly double posting err triple/quadruple posting

14. Shawn

Shawn Level IV

Reat to see the mighty progress going on here. I'll pm you regarding the forum

15. 3dee

3dee Level III

Looks sick, kinda like a classic version of Runescape. Even better if this is your first game, lots of potential for you.

16. toesocks

toesocks Level I

hey, sorry for the double and triple posts etc, hard to tell what's going on with this pathetic connection

it's not my first game, my first game was a similar game but using the Mirage Source engine, but that was like 5 years ago and this project is only a few months old so it's quite new really

got a few things left to do before the first real public test, there's more areas to map, i'm also removing dragons from the castle and lowering the spell damage to even out the game a little now the test is over, that or i make the dragons in the castle less powerful and give less loot

there's a lot of balance issues i need to fix before the game goes live in september,

i'm still deciding on a title for the game, as the current one isn't exactly awesome, any suggestions are welcome though :)

i'm also thinking of adding some more features like a newspaper inside the game that players can submit articles to me to put into it every week, perhaps it could be run by the NF community? you can tell players about quests and hunting tips etc

i could also program it so there's a free gift with each issue and stuff like that lol

anyways, that's all the news for now, hopefully when the connection's sorted we'll be able to put this game to the test :)

17. Shawn

Shawn Level IV

Oh gosh, cant wait for the public beta!
    Must we download a game client or is It a browser based game?

18. toesocks

toesocks Level I

it's a game client, some people are working on a flash based version of the game client, but i'm not a fan of flash anyway lol

plus the game client will be custom soon enough :)

19. AcidSpiral

AcidSpiral Level I

Heyeee! Hurry up and give me a game to play. :p Waiting to get my Neopets account back and currently can't play Mercenary Wars because Uforia Inc. sucks balls and fucks the game up everytime they do a patch.

(Edit: lol? The F word is changed to CAKE? xD)

20. toesocks

toesocks Level I

haha it all goes to plan the game server should be online for testers Wednesday or maybe Thursday next week, i need to find someone to host the server for now as I can't host it 24/7 until i get back to university in september

but the good news is that everything is ready for the test, and to be honest there's not much left after that left to do other than expand the map by about 5 fold, mainly hunting areas needed, but im going to adjust the map around a bit so 99% of the places you can walk between and there's things around between them for you to explore including hunting areas

there's currently 4 main locations:
    Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley and also one unnamed village.

The first competition I'd like to tell you about is to name the village. More details will follow but the main prize to the winner will be a large house and a healthy donation into your game bank account ;)

We have a few HUGE competitions but these will be on the official release date :)

Also, I'm currently about 80% done with the newest, toughest, script I've done so far, Apperation runes. There will be a spell you learn to go with this rune, the spell will apperate you to places you name, but the rune will let you apperate around the screen to where you click (the current bug lets you useit on a wall to warp through it... obviously not a good thing lol)