help with setting up a paypal account, please?

Discussion in 'Neofriends Help and Suggestions' started by juvenile, Oct 10, 2009.

1. juvenile

juvenile Level II

sorry if this is in the wrong section, i wasn't really sure where to put it..
    anyway, i have a paypal account but i don't have anything set up. in other words i don't think i can send/receive anything because i don't have a bank account or anything linked to it.
    btw, i'm 16 so i hardly know anything about banks and cards and stuff like that. :(

i was wondering if anyone could help me ? what would be the easiest way to go about setting this up?
    would asking my mom for my bank account info be sufficient?
    or would it be better to get a debit card(how do i even do that) and set it up that way?
    my mom is computer illiterate and definitely would not know how to go about doing this, which is why i'm asking here.
    any help is greatly appreciated, thank youuu. :)

2. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Bank card/debit card is the exact same thing, basically to put the bank info onto your paypal to use, for my bank anyway, there are a buncha numbers that was given to me when I signed up for my bank, and it's like, account number and all that stuff.
    You have to be over 18 to get a bank account for yourself, if you're only 16 in your case, your parents would have to make an account with you if you don't already have one.

Bank transactions on paypal takes seven days to clear, meaning if you pay using an attached bank card, it takes 7 days to process and actually "pay" the person you sent money to so it's a little inconvenient if you're impatient.

I'm NOT too sure about whether you have to verify your address/account to receive money, but as far as I know if you make a paypal account with your email, you can receive money from people.

3. Senile_old_Gitt

as moo states above

but be very careful when it comes to internet and paypal as serious consequences can happen if your bank details get into the wrong hands

4. juvenile

juvenile Level II

thanks for the info. ^^
    i was talking to my mom about the routing number and all, and she said i don't have a checkings account & i only have a savings account and the routing number is for checking accounts or something?
    idk, i told her i could link it to my savings account, but i needed the numbers and she doesn't know how to go about doing this. :/

is it possible to have her make me a checking account or whatever, even though i'm only 16? i told her about it and she was like wth you don't even write checks.

5. tiati400

tiati400 Level II

You need to be 18 to open an account.
    You could get your parents to have the 'account', but you get a SOLO or EXPRESS card, for under 18s.

6. juvenile

juvenile Level II

i'm aware of this, but my friend is 16 and has an account and it's not a student account so i figured i could do the same.
    if i could get in touch with her things would probably be a whole lot easier, lol. all i know is she has some visa card or something. :/

anyways, if my mom has the account wont the money end up with hers and just get mixed around? i don't want that to happen. how would i go about setting this up and how would i get a solo or express card?
    my mom most likely isn't going to give me her banking info, like i said she hardly understands computers and she's going to think everyone will have access to her info.

7. Senile_old_Gitt

You are able to open a paypal account without a bank account but having a bank account allows you to spend the money which is in your bank account via paypal.

If you wasnt to have your bank account attached you can only spend the money which is in your paypal account which you may have in there by selling stuff on the internet hope this helps :D

The money wil only go into your moms bank account if you choose to transfer it into it via paypal or the money can just stay on the paypal account and you spend it that way.If your to transfer to your bank account you also get a slight fee for transferring the money.

8. juvenile

juvenile Level II

that helps loadsss, thank you !
    i'm really only trying to set it up for smoother transactions (if thats the correct word). having people go out of their way to buy me a $50 giftcard in exchange for a draik trans is a bit much, or so i think. so i'm trying to set this up so it's easier for them. :D

so what you're saying is if i just create the account, not adding a credit/debit card or bank account to it i'll still be able to have the money transferred to my account(paypal account) & able to be spent online or whatever? i don't need to do anything else besides make the account which i've already done?

9. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Yup! And if you want, I can also help test it after you make an account, send you like a few cents and see if it works out? :)

10. juvenile

juvenile Level II

ah, thank you moo, that would be great!
    the email for the account is [email removed, MooForYou has already seen it so no need to keep it here]
    that's all you need right? ^^