1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you tip?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Soleil56, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ninjitzumaster

ninjitzumaster Level III

I was a waitress for a long time, and Its really much harder than it seems. You have to wait on people hand and foot, bring them everything they need, totally kiss ass, and pray to God that they're happy and tip you well. Plus the wage is only like 3 bucks an hour, so if you don get tipped well that day, you go home empty handed. Its so discouraging and depressing to put in a hard and very long days work, and coming home with 20 bucks. Im so glad I got out of the food service industry, as it really was horrible. But now I make sure to tip well anywhere I go. I tip everyone, my hairdresser, my massage therapist, I even tipped a guy at the gas station that was working on Christmas. I guarantee it made his day, and I really just like to do that for people.

2. SithJawa

SithJawa Newbie

i normall tip 15% but sometimes i have a terrible waitress and i ive her 10%

3. crssnate

crssnate Level I

I usually always tip a good waiter or waitress even if we didn't stay there for long its just nice and the waiter/waitress is usually always thanking me and my friends if we tip them a lot
    lol

4. larryisamazing

larryisamazing Level II

I would rarely go under 10% even if a waiter were really lazy and didn't make any effort to be nice...except once, a waiter in Boston at a well know n seafood place was just an arrogant ass who thought he was doing me a huge favor to bring food out to me while turning his nose up at me and my friends. I left him a 10% tip anyway, but then he stopped me as I was getting up to leave the table and says to me "it is customary to tip 20% for good service around here (accompanied by the nastiest, condescending attitude)", so I just walked back to the table, and said "yeah 10% was too much to pay someone who made my day less enjoyable", and picked up another $5 and walked out. Actually, I was ready to do that, because I heard him use the same line on another customer 10 mins earlier.

5. nerbie

nerbie Newbie

Hmmm.. interesting. Where I come from.. we don't tip at all. In restaurants.. they'd usually charge 10% service charges. ... maybe that explains the sucky customer service here... >.<

6. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    Tipping isn't something that is practiced much here in Australia - I only notice it when I travel overseas.

Even then, not a good tipper.

7. larryisamazing

larryisamazing Level II

Exactly, my friends from Belgium were complaining about having to tip 15-20% when they were here, saying that why don't the restaurants just pay them more and charge a little higher prices. The good thing about tipping is most waiters realize that they only make around $3.50/hr if they don't get tips. It's not a guarantee of good service, but it helps.

8. vicksuper

vicksuper Level I

15% if they're good.

9. muro

muro Level II

If you're eating out it Finland, don't tip. Our prices are so high, that tipping the waiters makes you look like a boaster 'look at all this money I have left to give'. No offence to anyone though, we understand that it's practically a norm in many countries.

10. Drumstick

Drumstick Level III

I try to go 15%
    If the chick is hot I'll tip more though, naturally.

11. tonyvupp

tonyvupp Newbie

12. rachel123

rachel123 Newbie

15% on everything

13. dayvus

dayvus Level I

usually 10%, just cause it's easy to calculate

14. jvance08

jvance08 Level II

20%+round up to the nearest whole dollar if the service is good

10% if bad

15. coconutmoon

coconutmoon Level III

10% if bad. 15% if less than average. 20% if good. 22% if exceptional. My boyfriend works as a pastry chef and used to wait tables so he tends to sympathize. If the restaurant is busy and the service isn't prompt, we don't necessarily treat that as bad.

16. fushichou

fushichou Newbie

I tip around 10%, maybe a bit more depending on the quality of service.

17. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

I tip 10% for lunch, 15% for dinner (Yeah those are the % norms here :p ) and if it's a really good dinner/amazing service I tip 20%!

18. Furby

Furby Newbie

It depends
    If its pizza 5$
    Haircut 5$
    Usually like 10^

19. mermmaidsong

mermmaidsong Newbie

If you don't agree with the gratuity system, you really shouldn't go out to eat where someone will be serving you. Food industry workers are so abused and underpaid. If your server is being rude, still tip them the bare minimum but go to their supervisor/manager. That's more of a punishment than not tipping.

20. kwed5d

kwed5d Newbie

25%-great service
    20%-If they just fill up the glass and that's about it.
    5%-buffets
    0%if I go pick up my own food