I jsut pimped my desk with a tablet. Now what?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Guides' started by WildSnorlax, May 30, 2009.

1. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Yush. I got myself one of them Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet.
    But my line art SUCKSSSSSSSSSSS.

I can't seem to get it thin/solid like this

[​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

Instead mine is like this:
    [​IMG]

What am I doing wrong?? My lines are fuzzy! I am already using those default PSCS2 brushes {not airbrush, trust me} and it's on pen pressure with size 3-4? Any thinner is impossible to see. What kinda settings should I use?

I heard everyone vectors their lineart. But is it impossible to get lineart like this by just brushes + tablet?
    [​IMG]

2. Shaw

Shaw Newbie

Err. This is pretty obvious but.

Greater Preasure = Thicker Line
    Less Preasuer = Thinner Line.

3. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Sorry, but I knew that already, still REALLY different.

Now you can't expect me to use pen pressure and not realize that would you? o_O
    Maybe you should have read next time, or maybe actually help you know? Two only things I really looked for in this thread and you can't do neither.

4. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Not sure about this but the bamboo fun tablet only has 512 levels of pressure. Maybe those people are using the Wacom Intuos tablet which has like 1024 levels of pressure. Mehbeh I dunno.

Edit: The Intuos 3 has 1024 levels... The Intuos 4 has 2048 levels.... lul

5. Vivvian

Vivvian Newbie

Be sure to watch your pen nub; they run out very quickly.
    Well, it'd be a good idea to configure your programs to match your tablet sensitivity level.
    Also, if you have the patience, a good way to get smooth lines like the Sora(?) image is to scan at 300-600 DPI then ink it with like a 3px Brush.
    To color over your line at simply lock the transparency of the layer.

6. Dreamerz

Dreamerz Level III

Awwwh I want a pen tablet soooo badly

7. WingedOne

WingedOne Level II

TABLET = WIN, I've got a bamboo also, but it does have drawbacks to the pressure. Going from traditional media to all computer media...is a super hard switch X_X It took me FOREVER just to be able to draw things and have them look decent. It takes a while, but as soon as you get somewhat use to it, everything gets a whole lot better Dx.

8. duskndawn

duskndawn Level I

Yes it is possible, I always use my tablet for lineart and it always turns out smooth.

You could possibly be pressing too hard on your tablet? Make sure the brush you are using is 100% hard and not soft.

Here are some tips when doing lineart. Hopefully you find them useful. ^-^ ..if not sorry for wasting your time lol:
    Try changing the size of your image to 200 or even 400% before you start your lineart.(just change the size back to 25/50% when youre done with your lineart) Then do your lineart with quick curves. Example: don't lift up your pen multiple times when lining the arm in your picture. Use one quick smooth motion.
    Keep one hand on ctrl-z to undo and just keep trying until you get a line that you like. Sometimes I go back over parts of the lineart, like the eyelashes to make them stand out more. Or you could ust vary your brush size.
    Some people like using larger brushes for outside lines and smaller ones for inside deatails.
    I prefer using a smaller brush for hair than the rest of my image.
    Find parts of your lineart where the lines run together, such as in the hair where two lines make a point. Take a hard 1-3px eraser and make them into a neat point. This is called tapering I believe. It makes your lines look very neat. =]

I never use more than a 3px brush on a 500x500 canvas. If you change your image size to 200-400% bigger then go with a slightly bigger brush like 5px. But those are just my preferences, it all depends on what you like and what your style is. I always use a hard round brush.

Thats how I do it. =3 Hope this helps and good luck with your new tablet!