1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lieing to patients

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, May 22, 2009.

1. Dreamerz

Dreamerz Level III

Honesty is best always why give someone false hope, some hope is good yes but a doctor needs to be honest with a patient if it is most chances going to be fatal that person probably has a family who they will need to talk with and prepare you know. Hopes im on the same page so to say :S

2. Freya

Freya Level III

Well you know it is not necessarily a false hope.. it is even a pretty good hope since it increases your chances of surviving...

3. Freja

Freja Level IV

That is not a good enough reason to lie to someone. You cant PROVE that it increases your chances or surviving, so yeah, it is false hope.

4. Freya

Freya Level III

Like I said earlier.... it is proven that in increases you chances of surviving
    If you take two groups and you lie two one group and tell the other the truth, out of the group that has been lied to more people will survive so it increases you chances of acutaly surviving...

5. Freja

Freja Level IV

Like I said earlier.. I dont really believe it. And I dont think that it's a good enough reason, a person has the right to know. And like other people said - law suits ftw.

Does anyone actually know if there's a law against this? I mean, is it legal to use placebo (I think it is, right?) I think placebo medicine would be good. But lying is stupid.

6. surreptitious

surreptitious Level III

Placebo medicine /is/ lying. Just because you're not saying it out loud doesn't mean that giving someone a pill and having them assume that it wil cure them isn't the same as saying, "drink this sugar water. It will cure you."

Now, obviously I don't think that you should lie to someone and tell them that they're going to get better, like I posted before, but lying is lying. You can't just be selective about what is and what isn't.

7. Dreamerz

Dreamerz Level III

you can still tell someone the truth and give them hope without having to lie to them, and honestly never heard of these proven facts before ever. If I was super Ill and the doctor said to me you are probably going to die but we can try some things I still have hope in those things. If a doctor says your ill but there is a good chance we can help and you wont die, then I die i'm coming back and hunting the jerk lol

As I said I rather know the truth! most people would.

8. CoS

CoS Level IV

I say option A.

If you tell them B and then the patient dies the next day they are not prepared. They may not have even had time to tell there family.
    This is cheating the person out of their right to say goodbye to loved ones and do things they may want to do before they die.

I also think that if B were proven it should be used in certain circumstances. I am not sure what these would be, but maybe if it was somebody who had no remaining relatives or something like that. However i still feel that 99.99% of the time hte patient should be told the truth.

9. Freya

Freya Level III

Well... what if you would know that they wont die the next day? btw they could die in a car accident as well...

10. Dreamerz

Dreamerz Level III

You say it so much better but my point exactly!

you can't really know when they will die there have been cases a patient had only days to lived but lived weeks and so on and so on. Yes you can die like that or other ways instantly but the discussion is over wither or not a doctor should tell the truth or lie which can affect people to prepare.

11. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

Side 1 - A test ground of high school wrestling teams, taking placebos, gained 85% of the muscle that would actually be gained on steroids, as apposed to conventional lifting. 85% just from a simple fib. Yes, I understand a lie is a lie is a lie, but when there is a greater chance of survival in a patient, why not?

Side 2 - *argues with myself* There are a select group of people that would take hold of their life if the bad news was given. Maybe travel the world, say goodbye the the loved ones, or start a charity.

Side 1 - Why sacrifice the majority to save the minority?

12. eloisesa

eloisesa Level II

i would go with choise A as that paitient has a right to know, knowing that he/she is going to die they can tell people their sorry they love them.... where as if they think that their ok theyll never get the chance to tell the family how much they mean to them