1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEVER USE WIKIPEDIA

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by bititid0, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boomm

boomm Level IV

Hmmm never knew that but it canbe useful as I've used it for homework assignments and the teacher had no worries about it.

2. Jane

Jane Level IV

If there is anything unappropriate or something that doesn't fit the topic it is taken off so it shouldn't be too much hassle finding information that is actully true.

3. XstrageX

XstrageX Level III

I recently used wikipedia to give me a general idea of what classical and Keynesian economics are. Like i found tons of articles on it, but they had so much technical stuff in them i couldn't understand it.Wikipedia helped me understand things a bit better, but i did not use it as a source. Just use ut if you don't understand something, or want to ind sites about a particular topic.

4. StormyRu

StormyRu Level I

I used it to read about Neopets. It was pretty interesting, the Scientology connection and all.

5. Jane

Jane Level IV

Yeah, I read heaps of information about Neopets on there too :) On the more complicated subjects it is kind of hard to understand :?

6. Zapno

Zapno Level II

Wikipedia is an amazing source. If you change something wrong an admin WILL CHANGE IT BACK. One time I checked to see if that was true by editing small things in a sentance and within three minutes I had a warning from an admin and it was back to normal. Just as everyone else stated if you check the information before you use it you will know if it is correct. Stop critisizing anything your teacher does not think is trustworthy. School does not let you use wikipedia often simply because they want kids to learn how to research things and wikipedia makes research freekin easy. The ability for anyone to change it while admins monitor it makes it so that wikipedia is correct a majority of the time but even if it isn't aslong as you take 5 minutes to check it you will know if it is a lie.

7. mash1ey

mash1ey Newbie

naw...its actually a very good site and if u look for proper things, there are actual professionals who have posted on it, i love it, gives good site links!

8. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

ive actually never been told by a teacher not to use it, its just common sense. its funny that you try to imply that i got my point of view because of my teacher's specifications though

9. impega

impega Level III

Wikipedia

Some computer IPs at my school got banned from Wikipedia beause I kept editing the pages xD

10. CrC

CrC Level II

I use waki... the best part about it is that it summerizes the topic that I am looking up... It is really useful

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

even if it is as open source, it has mods.

I just changed a whole page into spam, and in 2 mins it was back to normal. the mods check what you write.

But defendly use more that wiki, since the mods can't constantly make sure the articles are legitimate. (i cant spell)

thanks for letting me include my 2 cents. lol

12. chrisw2525

chrisw2525 Level IV

wikipedia is good for a topic overview so you know the general facts about your topic, but if your doing a project you should look at more specialized sources like specific sites only on your topic, for example, lets say im doing an essay on the american civil war, wikipedia can tell me the basic stuff like who the generals were, who won which battles, but a site solely based of the american civil war will get more into detail.

13. twxlegend

twxlegend Level III

Well generally wiki is good, but once a teacher in my school went to edit something, and the mods there "banned" her and said she was vandalizing material!

14. yay4neofriends.net4eva

I auctually use all of the time. It's quite reliable. :wink:

15. manic_one

manic_one Level I

In my experience with wikipedia, it is generally a reputable site with useful information, but you should always back up the information that you have found with a book. I say specifically a book because all published books (except fiction books) have been verified by the publishers for factual accuracy, whereas even sites other than wikipedia can contain non-factual information, since often content of these sites is not verified for accuracy before being hosted.

16. luishem

luishem Level II

i always use wikipedia because they always chak the information and proove its a valuable source of information
    any way the best thing is having many sources of information
    i dont know why should someone be against wikipedia

17. 10tnor

10tnor Level II

well i use wikipedia for all of my essays and papers that are due! its really good !

18. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

thats nice to hear, what grade are you in? you certainly cant be citing wikipedia in a high school paper

19. Kadam

Kadam Level II

=P Code a cookie grabber into it, see how long it takes for it to get changed.

20. twxlegend

twxlegend Level III

That'd be mean.:p But I think it would take less than 24hrs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.