1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Poll] Operating System of choice...

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Zer0, Mar 2, 2008.

?

OS of choice

1. Windows 95

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows 98

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows ME

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Windows XP

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Windows Vista

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mac OSX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Normal Linux (Ubuntu, any of the user-friendly flavors)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Hacker-Linux (Gentoo, any customized kernels =D)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PinkPheo

PinkPheo Level II

I use XP and I'm quite happy with it. I don't really know about the others since I used this for a few years now ... :)

2. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Mmm... Ok, I see what you're saying. But if you're an experienced computer user, you should have done some research about what hardware is compatible before you buy it. Its a little more hassle and it restricts your choice, but meh.

Ok, maybe I should have rephrased that, 99.99% of the time ;)
    But really, the only thing that I have ever seen fail in Wine is MapleStory. And even then, it was only because of the rootkit behavior of GameGuard (again with the secure nature of Linux).

Umm... I dunno what to say to that... Linux IS secure(r than Windows)

I'll agree for emulation, but community support is absolutely AMAZING: http://ubuntuforums.org/
    Look at the time stamps of each thread. Not only that, but you can always find help on IRC and other forms of communication.

Most games do not run on emulation software mainly because of game protection software such as GameGuard which act like intrusive rootkits.

:)

For your emulation issue, I see 2 solutions that could still make your $$ worth it:
    - Virtual machine (VirtualBox is a very very good choice here, it made my virtual windows work faster than natively ^^)
    - Dual-boot (speaks for itself)

I would personally go with choice #1 because it doesn't require a reboot plus it enables easy file-sharing. These solutions are very effective albeit more annoying than running applications natively.

3. Ropi

Ropi Level II

for me, XP is the best at the moment... fit best to my computer setting... and although there are some problems, I'm satisfied with it so far...

4. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Go XP...not as old and not as new, not as bugged and not as bad.

Vista later after 5-10 years or so -->

5. Khang685

Khang685 Newbie

Hmm, I feel its not worth it to use Vista now because it offers nothing but eyecandies, coupled with all the bugs. I tried installing mingw compiler and guess wad? The compiler could not install corectly because of the 'excellent' way the Microsoft people designed the software. I guess the computer market now is shifting towards the trend of developing nicer eyecandies, but have forgotten about the actual purpose of a computer - to aid in the afficiency is daily tasks.

6. Noone

Noone Level II

That's just the natural result of being sold to the masses. People as a group are stupid and easily distracted by shiny. It takes some pretty big glaring bugs to detract from a good show...bread and circuses my friends...and even the bug riots can be quelled with proper PR, just read /. or endgadget or YouTube with all those fools supporting Vista. Sad fact is most people don't even know what they are giving up by supporting Vista. Welcome the future of computing...where big business tells you what you can do with it, just like your TV. I'd like to hope I'm wrong but I don't even think Linux can stop it.

7. bigjohn

bigjohn Level II

I dual boot Vista and XP. Vista was very slow until I upgrade my video card, now its very fast but I only use it for Halo 2 :)

8. xiatus

xiatus Level III

I agree with you there.
    I ran XP before and now with Vista Ultimate.
    It's not as bad as people say it is.
    Personally I like it since the interface gave me a lot of options to play around with.

9. Jane

Jane Level IV

Right now I'm using XP since we can't get Vista on this old computer. My friend uses Vista, and from what I've seen it looks pretty cool. But I've heard bad reviews about it...

10. Noone

Noone Level II

300 dollars for something that wasn't ready for release is pretty bad. Add in all the DRM issues and the supposed government backdoor/spying and it just gets worst. Steep hardware requirements for useless icandy, huge footprint, crap security response cycle, I can keep going.

11. xenen

xenen Level I

I chooso win xp is more easy to use and very complete

12. buckolfc

buckolfc Level I

i favourite windows is XP and i really dont rate windows vista. my favourite linux is backtrack

13. Heya_old

Heya_old Level IV

yeah, it is great, you just need a program that simulates windows for it though. other wise, you'll have a selected list of programs.

14. Noone

Noone Level II

^ that's like buying a Lexus and putting a Ford engine/transmission in it...

Linux would be an old manual Honda maybe, hmm

15. shortbread

shortbread Level I

Up until about walf a week ago I've been using win2k which did everything I needed and worked fine but there were lots of games and apps coming out which arent supported by it so I decided to upgrade to XP and ohmygod it's so much easier to use, the other plus side is that i ended up formatting my disk so all the viruses and other crap that had built up is gone so my machine runs soo quickly :)

16. candyg3

candyg3 Level I

Ma OSX all the way!!!
    hahaha

17. lucasgrabeelrocks

I think vista is better because it has much better graphics, i love the transparent window

18. officegirl

officegirl Level I

TO be honest, I'd *prefer* to use Linux (ubuntu was made in South Africa! hehehe) or Mac, but I'm just tooooo lazy to learn it and try to make it compatible with our networks and stuff. So yeah, I'm an XP-er. Don't like Vista yet, it's too new and glitchy, not to mention it *sucks* up system resources!

19. Lucility

Lucility Level I

Ahh, I want Mac OSC, but stuck with Windows XP for now.
    It's good for some people, but mine's sooo slow. =/

20. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Level II

I can understand people's complaints with windows since the comp sci lab that I have my Comp Arch class in at school runs linux, but personally... XP is easy and works for my purposes, and frankly I'm too lazy to set something else up.