1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Programs: Common Problems & Solutions

Discussion in 'Neopets Program Discussion' started by Lightning, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Introduction
    Well, I typed this up for those who had problems with programs. Instead of always asking, I thought I'd post something like this. So welcome!

Downloading Issues

Problem: My anti-virus software says the programs I download are/contain viruses.
    Solution: All the programs that you find here at Neofriends.net are 100% virus free. Make sure you download DIRECTLY from Neofriends' Download Section. If you are trying to download a "crack" of our programs, we cannot guarantee those are clean. Some anti-virus programs do have a false alarm on the programs though. Suggested Firewalls/Anti-Virus: Kaspersky, Comodo. Known to cause trouble Firewalls/Anti-Virus: AVG, Symantec

Program Start-Up Issues

Problem: When I start the program, there is a information box saying: Run-time error 429 'ActiveX component can't create object'
    Solution: Your LibraryFiles are either not installed or outdated. All you need to do is download libraryfiles.exe and install them.

Problem: It says my version of: *Name*Wrapper is outdated
    Solution: Your LibraryFiles are either not installed or outdated. All you need to do is download libraryfiles.exe and install them.

Problem: When I load my program, it always pops up with: *Name*.dlg/.ocx is outdated/missing
    Solution #1: Your LibraryFiles are either not installed or outdated. All you need to do is download libraryfiles.exe and install them.
    Solution #2: Download these files (OCX Files) and follow the instructions in the program description to install and register them. *check spoiler*

Instructions (For OCX Files)

Extract OCX Files
    Put the files in your system32 folder (Vista or newer 64-bit users should also add them to their SysWow64 folder)
    For WinXP or older: Start menu -> Select Run -> Type in: "regsvr32 *ocx name*.ocx" (without the quotes).
    For Vista or newer: Start menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right-click CMD/Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator, Type in: "regsvr32 *ocx name*.ocx" (without the quotes).
    Popup should say "DllRegisterServer in *.ocx succeeded"

Problem: When I run the program, nothing comes up, but it shows up on the Task Manager processes.
    Solution #1: For Vista users, right-click on the program and click 'Run As Administrator'. Allow all the permissions, and it'll run.
    Solution #2: If the above failed or you are an XP user, Right-Click --> Properties --> Compatibility tab --> Windows XP (Vista users) or Windows 95.
    Solution #3: For XP users/VB.NET programs only, you don't have .NET Framework installed. Download .NET Framework and install it.

Problem: I've downloaded this program coded in Perl/SCAR, but it says it can't find a default program to read it.
    Solution - Perl: Download ActivePerl and install it. Then, download LWP and HTTP Perl Modules and install them. The LWP/HTTP modules are required for any programs downloaded here at Neofriends.net.
    Instructions from expon for Perl Modules:
    - Extract the zip
    - Copy everything in the LWP folder to c:\perl\lib\LWP\
    - Copy everything in the HTTP folder to c:\perl\lib\HTTP
    Solution - SCAR: Download SCAR Divi CDE and install it. Now, SCAR should work...

For the solutions that have LibraryFiles in it, if you have tried that, and it hasn't worked, try downloading and installing VB6 Runtime Files.

In-Program Issues

Problem: There is a message box that says "File or command not found"
    Solution: Make sure you have extracted everything from the .zip file -- you need everything for it to work! That's why it is there!

Problem: The program says: You are not authorized.
    Solution #1: Sometimes, expon backs up the forum to the server, and there'll be a pop-up before it says you're not authorized. Just be patient and wait like 1-2 minutes before retrying.
    Solution #2: Well, maybe you aren't authorized to use the program. Make sure you didn't get it from another member, and don't try. It'll never work, like the problem above.

Conclusion

Well, if I am missing any problems and solutions, please post or PM. I hope this will solve all of your problems, and if not, you can post here. I should be able to help you.

Thanks goes out to Ricky for a little help :p!

Lily, Commy and chelsea1 like this.
  2. chelsea1

chelsea1 Level IV

nice one lightning. very useful. +rep

the only thing that you could perhaps be missing is something about needing to install the .net framework. now i know vista comes with it already but xp doesn't and some people have problems with that, only problem is, i don't know what the error message is.

-stickied-

edit: i saw the little bit about .net framework but i always remembered there being more. i'll try using a prog on my laptop tomorrow (which has no .net framework) and tell you what the outcome is

3. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Ricky said it won't run unless you give it an uninstaller. Then it would attempt to install .NET Framework.

EDIT: I didn't understand the question at first. Here's the solution I put on for the .NET Framework. It won't load the VB.NET program...that's the problem I put it under

Problem: When I run the program, nothing comes up, but it shows up on the Task Manager processes.
    Solution #1: For Vista users, right-click on the program and click 'Run As Administrator'. Allow all the permissions, and it'll run.
    Solution #2: If the above failed or you are an XP user, Right-Click --> Properties --> Compatibility tab --> Windows XP (Vista users) or Windows 95.
    Solution #3: For XP users/VB.NET programs only, you don't have .NET Framework installed. Download .NET Framework and install it.

4. Shawn

Shawn Level IV

Ow about the invalid exception errors AU periodically gives?

5. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Good one, Shawn...those are when you have too many .NET programs running that use .NET Framework, or if you have entered something wrong. Those can usually be ignored though :p

6. Shawn

Shawn Level IV

Those errors seem to stop the ABin.
    Once I ran it for 3 hours and went out, and it only had been running less then 20 minutes as the error came up.
    I was running only 1 AU too

7. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm, interesting, but I think expon has fixed these errors. It doesn't ever happen to me o_O...try ABing now with the new version :D

8. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

you can't AB with an old version of AU =P

I have no clue what causes AU errors but usually I can continue without issue...otherwise just restart it

9. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

I know that, but I don't know if he was talking about his old experiences with AU though :p

10. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry for the double-post, but I also added a solution for SCAR programs...a recent help thread kinda reminded me.

11. Hannah_Wentz

Hannah_Wentz Level I

I looked throught the guide and downloaded everything I needed, but I still have a problem! I'm trying to run sLAUGHTER's score sender on windows vista and when I open it I get this message
    "Component "MSINET.OCX" or one of it's dependencies not correctly reqistered: a file is missing or invalid"
    I've searched and downloaded that file on the internet but it still says it's missing
    I've tried compatibility modes left right and center but it doesn't work, can you help me?

12. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

you have to register the file
    regsvr32 *ocxname*.ocx
    check the spoiler in the first thread.

13. Hannah_Wentz

Hannah_Wentz Level I

Oh sorry about that! I didn't even notice the spoiler!
    EDIT: tried what the spoiler said more than once, it said something about the . being missing even though I put it in

14. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Make sure you also try Run As Admin...if that doesn't work (Run As Admin), make sure you did 100% what it said in the spoiler.

EDIT: Install LibraryFiles...try that first, then Run As Admin, and verify you did everything right XD

15. Hannah_Wentz

Hannah_Wentz Level I

Done everything exactly as stated :/ I'll just save for a different sser lol

16. Stop

Stop Level IV

When I try to do the command prompt step I get an error.

The error is as shown:
    [​IMG]

I have added the ocx files into system 32 folder and I have downloaded the library files, am I missing anything else perhaps?

17. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Umm, you might wanna try entering the ocx name in where I put *ocx name* :lol:

Hence the star -- like if it was mswinsck.ocx it would be

regsvr32 mswinsck.ocx

18. Stop

Stop Level IV

LOL thoughts that what it might have been lemme try that

A few of them didn't want to verify, the ones that didn't have "32" in their names, any reason why?

19. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm, that's interesting...make sure you put them in your system32 folder right?

regsvr32 msinet.ocx

Stuff like that should work...what error are you getting?

20. Stop

Stop Level IV

I started command prompt as admin, I added the OCX files into my System32 folder, and followed the rest of the steps.

The error I am getting is: [​IMG]

It happens with a few of them, not all though....Like the first two worked fine, the third one is where I get the error