1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proxies: A Newbies Guide

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by marlene, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrstnroxxd

chrstnroxxd Level I

lots of steps :( PERFECT for school :}

2. shadow16616

shadow16616 Newbie

Good guide

Good guide, thanks for posting, I had ben wondering baout proxies so i could bypass my schools internet security.

3. unknown2

unknown2 Level IV

wow, the post above me just took the words out of my fingertips...since im typing...*watches the joke crash and burn*

but yeah, thanks for this

4. deathbunny

deathbunny Level I

Now if I could just be sure that I wouldn't burn down my whole wireless network while setting up my proxy.... Ha!

5. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

hm

Either im not doing this right or my computer has really high internet settings...

I can visit the proxy pages and search for a proxy and I can visit the what is my ip address page

on my normal IP

but when I change to a proxy

I get access denied pages on those. Saying my system network wont allow me to visit these pages....

I just go to internet options, LAN, Proxy, enter the proxy and OK

it work on browsing this site (slowly) but it wont let me visit the check page to be sure it is not showing my real IP address?

6. actorderick

actorderick Newbie

Nice guide. At my school MySpace is blocked, so all of us use a proxy to get around the wall.

7. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

This was one great guide! It took awhile for me to read through it and comprehend it but boy did it help. Thanks!

8. lynnkay

lynnkay Level I

hi

wow thanx i didnt know so much went into hiding your ip adress i thought changing it everytime was enough x.x

9. americanpierg

americanpierg Level III

Re: hi

I thinkt he only time you can change your ip is if you're on dialup...or pay a lot for a dynamic connection. I just use my school's proxy to log into my real account.

10. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

ok...

So if anyone is willing to lend me some quick one on one. lol please pm me about this.

I am trying to figure out the whole proxy thing, since soon I will have enough to get the MSABer

I downloaded a toolbar to help me keep my proxies in order. So I went to the elite proxy site. picked a proxy. It was transparent by the way.

Put it in there and went to the check my IP site.

I got this message

Proxy Server Detected!

Proxy Server IP address: 66.98.238.8
    Proxy Server Details: 1.1 PSPPTEST:3128 (squid/2.6.STABLE6.2.7-3)

and then it showed my real IP

Now.. My question is...

Is this the particular proxy adress I used? The transparent 66.98 ect one... Or is it the toolbar that is acting as the proxy?

thanks for any help.

11. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

punkeydew - transparent proxies are not much different than using your own IP as they are easily detectible and show your real IP address.

As I said in my guide, what you're looking for is an elite/anonymous proxy.

Please be advised tho, if someone else on neopets is using that same proxy, and get's iced... then there's a pretty good change you'll get iced too.

Also... if you login to neopets using a proxy, and then someone else log's in using the same proxy, you'll be log'd off and unless your aber detects it, it's a sure way to get iced.

Without knowing what program you're using, butbased on the information you gave, you're not having a problem using a proxy. The toolbar is apparently showing the proxy it's using, so everything is fine....

EXCEPT the proxy your using.

12. arockett3

arockett3 Level II

do mozilla firefox and i.e. use the same proxy or can u be on one proxy with one browser and another ip with the other browser?

13. pakkiu

pakkiu Level I

nive guide + rep

14. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

I found the whole guide pretty interesting, but I still have one question: I have already an account created, and I don't wanna get iced for using an AB, if I start using a proxy server from now on, will it be totally safe?

15. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

No, you need to create a new account and use a different IP on THAT account. Then use your normal IP for your existing account

never cross the 2.

I have a question also: Im still trying to get a handle on this:

If we are using a browser proxy. Such as hidemyass where you surf through their proxy in a browser. These do not apply to the programs such as the ABers that are in a seperate browser? right?

Hm well I guess what im really asking is. How do those programs work with a proxy? If I set my proxy, with a toolbar or something like that. All browsers I open up are automatically in there untill I uncheck the proxy button. Does this mean the ABer programs are auto opening with that proxy too?

ORRR

is it best just to forget the toolbar which i like so much but cant really get to work and just change my proxy the official way in the tool internet setting ect...
    Sorry if I sound confusing. My problem is I always try to figure stuff like this out in the middle of the night. Because thats the only much time I have available

16. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

Different proxy programs configure your browsers differently. Some only change Internet Explorer, while others change your system settings.

In order to get those aber's without proxy support to use a proxy you have to set your system settings. Doing this tho, will make all browsers use the proxy when loaded, unless you specify otherwise in their respective config's.

Proxies are inherently unsafe anyway as you can't guarantee someone else is NOT using the same proxy. If they get iced... chances are... so will you.

17. xace

xace Level I

i think i'm just a bit stupid because i do not understand this what so ever xD. Anyone here think they might be able to walk me through this?

18. chenran1212

chenran1212 Level II

Thanks for the post. now is cheating time!

19. stick808

stick808 Level II

awesome this sound good!

20. Kaito

Kaito Level IV

just wondering, is it a must to configure your browser?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.