1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex-Selective Abortions.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by xcoasterx, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh my god, that's horrifying that her own GRANDPARENTS did that to her. Absolutely heart-breaking.

2. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

It wasn't proven that the grand parents did it, just what the doctors suspect. And it's not like they could defend themselves now.
    Chinese women in the past have had it pretty bad. Small feet was considered desirable, so it was common practice that at a young age, a girl would undergo a process called foot binding. This was when they would break their toes, and bring them inwards, kept their by bandages. Then they would pull the bandages tighter every couple of days.
    And here's the results.
    [​IMG]

3. noncheatercheater

That is quite sickening and I'm glad they don't practice that much.

4. she_devil101

she_devil101 Level IV

Well it was really common for a while. I'm not so sure if it's STILL common (I'd doubt it really, with human civil rights laws... at least in the bigger communities)... And as for the news article. I just have the hardest time fathoming that. How a family member (assuming it was them) could literally try to kill an innocent child (of their own kin!!!) just because it's a girl.

-shakes head-

5. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

No way is foot binding common at all these days! Most of it stopped happening in the early 20th century.
    But yeah, it's just another example how important sex is/was in a different culture

6. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Foot binding still happens, though rarely, in some rural areas of China. However, it is most definitely not common.

7. she_devil101

she_devil101 Level IV

Yeah, I just researched it a little bit, and apparently when the communists took over and the Mao followers, they ordered footbinding to stop and tried to get everyone to unbind their feet, and imposed fines on those who continued the tradition... bringing it to somewhat of a halt.

8. noncheatercheater

It's kind of funny how the communists will stop such a horrible act using common sense but republicans won't allow gay marriage.. maybe there's no relation whatsoever but in my head, it's kinda funny..

I understand if a woman chooses to do this on her own but I'm glad it's a choice.

9. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure what unbinding their feet would do. Because their feet are broken into place, and healed that way. I'd expect it to grow back a little bit, but it would still be really painful. They break the toes, bend them back, and put them into the tiny shoes, with something like a rock to hold it in place. But stopping the practice would work. It did cause a lot of problems for older women, who would have trouble with moving about.
    The new Republic of China, who took over the emperors made the binding of feet illegal, not the communists. The communists did enforce the rule after they gained power though.
    I don't think those women whose feet were bound had a choice. Their mothers or grandmothers would do it to them at a young age. If the children were taught that such a thing was very attractive, and they wouldn't find a husband without bound feet, then they might want it. But I won't want to imagine the pain they would have to go through.

10. Virre

Virre Level IV

That's because republicans are conservative and keen on keeping the nuclear family as it has always been, whilst communists doesn't need to go forth or back, their politics doesn't work that way. They wouldn't gain anything on keeping footbinding so there's no need to have it.

11. she_devil101

she_devil101 Level IV

1) When you stop binding your feet, (I was reading stories of women who bound their feet), the feet would expand. Yes the toes were broken and curled under but when there was no more binding to hold them to that, they would start to expand and push back out, throwing the women into immense amounts of pain and making it hard for them to walk let alone work... So many who had been binding for years, kept doing it merely because it was A) such a tradition and b) would hurt so intensely to STOP doing it.

2) You're completely right about that. They didn't really have a choice as their mothers and grandmothers would push for it and do it for them as children, so that they had a chance of getting married and not having to work in the fields for their entire life. Normal feet were viewed as "ugly" and girls were looked down upon if they didn't have "small lotus feet." Matchmakers wouldn't even TRY to find husbands for girls with normal feet because no one would want to marry them. At that time, the smaller your feet were, the better husband you would get.

12. brittbratt12290

Yeah, that's terrible, but did u know that cutting edge technology on the Human Genome Project have come across a way to let you SELECT the gender of your child before you even become pregnant? They've found a way to determine which sperm cells will develop a boy and which will develop a girl. They die the boys blue and the girls pink. Then they join either a male or female producing sperm with the egg. o_O weird huh?

[​IMG]

13. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

oh my if they really get this comercial it will be a real technological break through. But no doubt it will be detrimental to humans. What if all the people in china get to choose to born a boy over a girl?--------gone case

14. Spawned

Spawned Level I

well actually it helps china/india , but not for so long , atm males are working while female clean da houses there ... but they'll be lacking females soon ... also homosexuality is like 200% higher in china then anywhere else on earth (no offense ... idc if ur gay :p)

15. sportsguy1294

sportsguy1294 Level I

i think that it is wrong to abort a baby just because of its gender, that is cruel and inhumane.

16. micorazonesazul

micorazonesazul Level III

I'm sorry--but it's a little dense to think that there aren't going to be anymore females o_0.
    It's not as if women aren't allowed to have baby girls at all--it might sound odd, or off to you but in places like China--that's what it is, and since you're not in that environment, you aren't really in a position to criticize that.

-Personally, I don't see why anyone has a problem with a women does with her body- if she wants to have an abortion --that's her issue and her decision. Like I've stated on the boards many times before--I'd rather see an abortion than to see a baby in a trash bag in a dumpster, dead, along with a woman with slit wrists, dead as well.

Yeah, this is actually pretty cool- it's been around for quite some time now- I've been interested in the Human Genome Project for a while, and keeping up with the research as well. The procedure, like I said, has been around for sometime--they've been working on reducing the risks and improving the effective. If I'm not mistaken, the price is STILL pretty up there, though.

17. foxygrampa2012

foxygrampa2012 Level I

yeah i think that is very wrong
    in China they are only allowed to have 2 children.... so they have to get an abortion for a third one, no matter what the sex is
    i believe in abortions if you really didnt mean to have a child.... but not an abortion based on the sex of the babay

18. Pocketmonster

Pocketmonster Level II

I think that they shouldn't be given the opportunity for abortion. Only when there is rape to do with the child being born should there be thought of abortion.

19. Chocolate

Chocolate Level I

I think abortions that are sex-selective are wrong. I understand the process as to why it happens but do not agree with it at all. Normal abortions that have nothing to do with gender are acceptable but I would never want to have one.

20. feeeesh

feeeesh Level I

abortion is just downright wrong no matter the gender its just freaken murder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.