Should a mosque be built near Ground Zero?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by powerof0, Aug 4, 2010.

1. bladeoftalwar

bladeoftalwar Level IV

a mosque technically can be built anywhere they want since U.S. tries to promote freedom of religion. however picking specifically ground zero (of all other places) is not only unnecessary but extremely disrespectful.

2. TtotheJay

TtotheJay Level II

It just doesn't seem like the best place to put it. Not because I disagree though, but because it is causing a lot of conflict.

3. Coldness

Coldness Level IV

Erm I kind of agree with Cackle.
    If they have to build it do it a bit further than that place.
    It's so weird to be seeing people being so selfish about things and don't consider other people's feelings.
    If it's an emotional place, avoid it. it's the best thing to do.

And to the word "Cordoba", I personally I have never heard of it. But I don't think it has to do with Islamic victory.
    :)

4. TtotheJay

TtotheJay Level II

They could still build it in the community, but not in the vicinity of the tragic events of 9-11. Don't get me wrong though, I would be all for it because it symbolizes maybe a merger of people and bringing them closer, showing truth.. that there is no separateness.. BUT.. it is causing a conflict, thus doing the opposite of what it might symbolize. A lot of people who were affected more so than I, and maybe you, by the attacks on the twin towers are still very bitter towards the people that made the attacks, and it will be a long time before a lot of people could accept a mosque being built near ground zero.

5. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

I am horrified by the amount of people against the building of this mosque. I hope there are just lots of fail trolls roaming about.

The community in which the mosque is being built supports the project, so it is clearly something valuable to the people who live there and who would use its facilities. To not build this mosque would be to give in to the fear and intimidation tactics that are being employed by several forms of media. Not to mention that by opposing the mosque you are obviously not thinking clearly enough to separate the religion of Islam from the extremists who committed the attack on the WTC. This is ignorant and intolerant and we will never learn to forgive if we continue to stubbornly oppose a religion that has nothing to apologize for.

6. TtotheJay

TtotheJay Level II

I am not opposing the mosque because I cannot separate the religion of Islam from the extremist, but I know that there are thousands upon thousands of ignorant people who will not see that separation, and that is the problem I was talking about with the mosque. But, I've talked with several people who do relate the Islam religion with the extremists, and it doesn't seem logical to piss off one group of people regardless of ignorance, to appease another group of people. But also, the ignorant probably wouldn't want it built anywhere. The only reason I disagree is because it has caused such drama, and I don't believe anything should be this big of a deal.

7. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

I get where you're coming from, but I'm not sure if it's ever a good idea to appease the ignorant group. To use an extreme example, I guess we can all consider white people who are prejudiced against black people to be ignorant. In that case, the abolition of segregation and other racist policies in the US, or the abolition of apartheid in South Africa, definitely pissed off these white people. But does it mean that we should have kept these racist policies, just to make this ignorant majority happy?

And on a side note, there are already two other mosques near Ground Zero. Should they just be grandfathered in?

8. TtotheJay

TtotheJay Level II

I see what you mean, but that is a little bit more extreme example :p. I was thinking that we could appease both parties :D

Although I'm not too sure how that could be done o_O

9. dochack

dochack Level II

I think It Is very disrespectful that they are trying to build It that close to Ground Zero. They don't have to build It right next to where we lost 3000+ lives by Terrorists. They should build somewhere else out of RESPECT. And maybe they should think If this was the other way around. Us In there country trying to build a religious place next to someplace they had a Terrorists attack at.

10. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Just because the terrorists were Muslim doesn't mean that the Muslim religion as a whole is at fault. By your logic, I guess we also ought to ban the construction of Catholic churches near the residences of victims who were sexually abused by priests. Apparently there is quite a lengthy list...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse_by_m ... lic_orders

11. dochack

dochack Level II

I didn't say anything about the terrorists being Muslim. o_O I was just simply saying that they should have Respect for the people who died and not build near/on top of Ground Zero.

And what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

12. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

If you think that the terrorists being Muslim is not a big deal, then why should Muslims in particular build elsewhere "out of respect"?

And why on earth would you think this conversation is off topic?

13. TtotheJay

TtotheJay Level II

I think they are maybe saying that nothing should be built there. Not a mosque, not a church, not a McDonalds.. okay, maybe a McDonalds.. No! A taco bell!

14. Stinky

Stinky Newbie

I don't think ANYTHING should be built there.

Let it remain as is, and let it serve as a reminder.

I have nothing against muslims, but seriously.. thats ridicilous

15. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Clearly people are not informed about the issue. The community center is not being built on top of Ground Zero. It's being built a few blocks away to replace a Burlington Coat Factory that presumably went out of business.

16. xavarn10

xavarn10 Level I

Are you suggesting some sort of conspiracy?

17. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

I guess my use of the word "presumably" gave off the wrong feeling. I used the word because I can't remember exactly what happened to the Burlington Coat Factory and didn't feel like looking it up at the moment.