Sig tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Guides' started by Angelika, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

I'm going to do a walkthrough of how to make this:

[​IMG]

You'll need a sparkle brush set. You can download one at deviantart.com, or make your own.
    And you'll need to have a basic knowledge of Photoshop, as I assume some things are known.
    Okay? Alright.

[​IMG]
    1. Open a new document (I think I used 360x100px) and fill it with a grey gradient or black.

[​IMG]
    2. Create a new layer and brush with white. You don't want to fill the whole layer, or it will be too bright.

[​IMG]
    3. Sharpen (Filter--->Sharpen--->Sharpen) the layer and then go to Edit--->Fade. Change the mode to lighten or screen and then set the layer to overlay and lower the opacity to 30-40%. Repeat steps 2-3, but instead of sharpening, try blurring and fading, different blending modes and opacities, brushing with a different brush, or anything else you think makes for a good bg. Repeat 6-8 times or until you're satisfied.

[​IMG]
    4. New layer. Brush with white, but be sure to leave some dark spots, as those will add depth later. Leave this layer at normal with 100% opacity. You can sharpen it if you think it doesn't look "glassy" enough. I sharpened this layer and faded the sharpen to 40%.

[​IMG]
    5. Time for color. Add a color balance adjustment layer and fiddle around until your bg is a color you like. You might want to consider your render at this point. Annnd there you have it---your bg.

[​IMG]
    6. Now it's time for your render. You can get one from a render site, or just pick a picture you really like and extract the character from it. Place your render in the sig. You can blend it with the bg a few different ways. The first would be to feather it. If you know how, go for it. Otherwise, just take your eraser, choose a soft brush, and lower the opacity to 30-35% and erase around the edges.

[​IMG]
    7. Experiment with filters and blend modes until you like the way your render looks.
    I gaussian blurred (2.5) and then faded (50%) my render, and then duplicated it 4 times. I set the blending modes (bottom to top) to: saturation, luminosity, soft light, overlay, soft light. I adjusted the opacities, also.

[​IMG]
    8. I added a black/white gradient map, set it to soft light, and lowered the opacity to 25%. Also, I put in a c4d render and set it to screen. Add any other adjustment layers you'd like. Be creative!

[​IMG]
    9. Add text and a border, and you're done.

Here are a few other examples of sigs I made using these steps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Questions? Post, and I'll try to answer them...it might take a while as I rarely have free time anymore.

2. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

I love your brushing technique for the background, it's not only easy but gets uber sweet results.
    I followed your tutorial until the part where you said to put the render (when finished brushing the background), then I started multiplying my render trough the background like I do with my other signatures and played a little with the filters/layers, like you said.
    Here's my outcome:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brushed background makes some big difference.
    Thanks for making this, +rep to you ^^
    I have one question though, what brush set did you use? I used ferret's one and it looks so similar to yours I wonder if you used it too.

3. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

I used a combination of Renegade's sparkle brush set and a brush set I made on my own.

4. Jane

Jane Level IV

Those are amazing! Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to have a go at it right now.

5. gawjus1234

gawjus1234 Level III

thats a really good guide. ive been trying to get into making sigs. i do mostly renders. ill give this a try.

6. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

Great Tutorial, I'll try it out when I get photoshop working again.
    Anyone know of a good render site?

7. sickandtired

sickandtired Level IV

Nice tutorial I cant wait til I get photoshop :D

8. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Besides the known-by-all deviantart.com, you have render-world.com or planetrenders.com (this second is much better than the first ^^)

9. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

I remember when I used to brush. Great tutorial! Nice result!

Brushing is a great way for people to start making sigs. It gives them depth and detail. Good job lbadmus

10. sebzanga

sebzanga Level III

Very good.... But...

I love Dante :D

11. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

Thanks azn

12. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

=o Np's its asian... btw. I hate that azn thing.

13. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

:x

fine.

asian.

14. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Thanks. :]

15. NoPoint

NoPoint Level III

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this ^ on paint.net. Cause all I can manage is making like white lines across the background. There do not appear to be any proper paint brush things, that make paint brush marks as opposed to erasing a part of the background. Any help is appreciated.

16. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

Well you can look here for tutorials that might help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.