1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sig tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Guides' started by Angelika, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

I'm going to do a walkthrough of how to make this:

[​IMG]

You'll need a sparkle brush set. You can download one at deviantart.com, or make your own.
    And you'll need to have a basic knowledge of Photoshop, as I assume some things are known.
    Okay? Alright.

[​IMG]
    1. Open a new document (I think I used 360x100px) and fill it with a grey gradient or black.

[​IMG]
    2. Create a new layer and brush with white. You don't want to fill the whole layer, or it will be too bright.

[​IMG]
    3. Sharpen (Filter--->Sharpen--->Sharpen) the layer and then go to Edit--->Fade. Change the mode to lighten or screen and then set the layer to overlay and lower the opacity to 30-40%. Repeat steps 2-3, but instead of sharpening, try blurring and fading, different blending modes and opacities, brushing with a different brush, or anything else you think makes for a good bg. Repeat 6-8 times or until you're satisfied.

[​IMG]
    4. New layer. Brush with white, but be sure to leave some dark spots, as those will add depth later. Leave this layer at normal with 100% opacity. You can sharpen it if you think it doesn't look "glassy" enough. I sharpened this layer and faded the sharpen to 40%.

[​IMG]
    5. Time for color. Add a color balance adjustment layer and fiddle around until your bg is a color you like. You might want to consider your render at this point. Annnd there you have it---your bg.

[​IMG]
    6. Now it's time for your render. You can get one from a render site, or just pick a picture you really like and extract the character from it. Place your render in the sig. You can blend it with the bg a few different ways. The first would be to feather it. If you know how, go for it. Otherwise, just take your eraser, choose a soft brush, and lower the opacity to 30-35% and erase around the edges.

[​IMG]
    7. Experiment with filters and blend modes until you like the way your render looks.
    I gaussian blurred (2.5) and then faded (50%) my render, and then duplicated it 4 times. I set the blending modes (bottom to top) to: saturation, luminosity, soft light, overlay, soft light. I adjusted the opacities, also.

[​IMG]
    8. I added a black/white gradient map, set it to soft light, and lowered the opacity to 25%. Also, I put in a c4d render and set it to screen. Add any other adjustment layers you'd like. Be creative!

[​IMG]
    9. Add text and a border, and you're done.

Here are a few other examples of sigs I made using these steps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Questions? Post, and I'll try to answer them...it might take a while as I rarely have free time anymore.

2. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

I love your brushing technique for the background, it's not only easy but gets uber sweet results.
    I followed your tutorial until the part where you said to put the render (when finished brushing the background), then I started multiplying my render trough the background like I do with my other signatures and played a little with the filters/layers, like you said.
    Here's my outcome:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brushed background makes some big difference.
    Thanks for making this, +rep to you ^^
    I have one question though, what brush set did you use? I used ferret's one and it looks so similar to yours I wonder if you used it too.

3. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

I used a combination of Renegade's sparkle brush set and a brush set I made on my own.

4. Jane

Jane Level IV

Those are amazing! Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to have a go at it right now.

5. gawjus1234

gawjus1234 Level III

thats a really good guide. ive been trying to get into making sigs. i do mostly renders. ill give this a try.

6. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

Great Tutorial, I'll try it out when I get photoshop working again.
    Anyone know of a good render site?

7. sickandtired

sickandtired Level IV

Nice tutorial I cant wait til I get photoshop :D

8. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Besides the known-by-all deviantart.com, you have render-world.com or planetrenders.com (this second is much better than the first ^^)

9. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

I remember when I used to brush. Great tutorial! Nice result!

Brushing is a great way for people to start making sigs. It gives them depth and detail. Good job lbadmus

10. sebzanga

sebzanga Level III

Very good.... But...

I love Dante :D

11. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

Thanks azn

12. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

=o Np's its asian... btw. I hate that azn thing.

13. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

:x

fine.

asian.

14. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Thanks. :]

15. NoPoint

NoPoint Level III

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this ^ on paint.net. Cause all I can manage is making like white lines across the background. There do not appear to be any proper paint brush things, that make paint brush marks as opposed to erasing a part of the background. Any help is appreciated.

16. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

Well you can look here for tutorials that might help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.