1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cardenal, Oct 23, 2007.

?

Do you agree with the death penalty?

1. Yes, I do.

40 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No, I don't.

38 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. I'm undecided.

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Dark_knight2008

Dark_knight2008 Level I

It's easy to want to punish someone who is a murderer, terrorist etc. However humans are not Gods to decide who should live and who should die. Besides sometimes innocent people can be sentenced to death when their guilt is not proven or proven wrong.
    I've seen this movie "Life of David Gail" with Kevin Spacey where it proves that sometimes an innocent person is convicted and sentenced to death.

2. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

That's like saying that "Spiderman" proves that radioactive spider bites can give you superpowers. :nope:

3. Dark_knight2008

Dark_knight2008 Level I

No it is not!
    What about West Memphis 3 case?
    Nothing still has been proven with certainty. Trial was not properly conducted, no sufficient evidence found and what? Guy was sentenced to death.
    Do we know for sure if he is guilty? I am not sure about it.

4. neopetplayer

neopetplayer Level I

i think that if there is some one that did something to deserve death penaly then they should pay for what they have done there was a story i read in language arts about this subject and they bet money to see if the guy could survivi being under soletary confiendment for x amount of time the guy did it an used up the most prosporous time of his live well thats what the teacher said the years of his life where he could accomplish most of the things he would

5. 777

777 Level I

Yes I think it is good except the time and money it takes to do it.
    Firing squad FTW - with about 20 inmates at a time.

But I do feel bad for the occasional innocent guy who is being executed for a crime he didn't commit.

6. Theangeltyreal

More Quickfacts:
    1. Overcrowding in prisons would not even in the slightest be helped by the death penalty, what would help is *Less Stupid Laws*
    2. It costs more to kill a man painlessly then it does to keep him in prison his entire life.
    3. Crime rates are higher in Death Penalty states
    4. The ability to see our government do something, makes us believe it is alright, just as many of us do with our parents, they do it, we do it (Most of the time:p)

7. dahero18

dahero18 Level II

I don't belive that a human being has the power to choose someone's fate. That's acting as God.

8. amanda121

amanda121 Level I

i think it should be,but only in murder cases.penalties in many countries are too low and criminals don't get the deserved punishment

9. Nyamavu

Nyamavu Level I

I agree with the death penalty. Why should we pay money to give them a decent place to sleep and eat? Some people say that the life sentence is the best because it gives them time to think about what they have done. Chances are, that is the last thing on their minds. They had plenty of time to think about "what they did" before it resulted in taking the life of another.

10. DarkConjurer

DarkConjurer Level I

Yeah ... Although some people deserve to die, some dont. So i partially agree with it but yet i dont. But its more of a "No i dont agree" because i think most people deserve a second chance.

11. xProphet

xProphet Level III

No.Absolutely not condemn a man because of the death penalty sin for second time. :nope:

12. Rach

Rach Level I

I absolutely do not agree with it, under any circumstances.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".

13. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

I think the death penalty standard should still be used, but instead of the death penalty, they'd get an outrageous life sentence.
    Seventeen life sentences would not bring the person(s) back who's life they took, but it would make the suffering that the person sentenced to an actual life in prison inflicted on the victim's friends and family as close to revenge as possible.

**"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". - I love that quote, Rach.

14. Rach

Rach Level I

I agree, I'm all for prison ... and way too often the sentences are too short. And you get let out for "good behaviour" Oo. Wtf? That really shouldn't matter ... you certainly weren't very well-behaved when you murdered someone

15. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

I do believe in good behavior, but only on first offense (Only for minor offenses though). I believe in second chances, but no more. "Learn from your mistakes" ... the first time.

16. Rach

Rach Level I

I know this is slightly off-topic, but what would be a "minor offence" to you?

17. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

When I say "getting off for good behavior" and "minor offence", I mean things like tax evasion, drugs, etc. Stuff nonviolent, but still punishable by a prison sentence.

18. FunnyMonkey

FunnyMonkey Level I

I'm against death penalty. Life in prison is good enough for me.
    What does the death penalty solve that life in prison wouldn't?

19. Freja

Freja Level IV

I really don't agree with the death penalty. If you kill this person, you're no better than him/her !
    Also, I do believe that a life in prison is much worse than being killed. And think if you killed the wrong person. I'd be HORRIBLE. I know it's horrible to keep the wrong person in jail for a lifetime, but killing him/her .. ? I don't know, I think it is really wrong, and I am very happy we don't have it here.
    Mostly because it's morally very wrong to tell people not to kill another person and then do it yourself ..

20. Parisdirt1

Parisdirt1 Level III

I believe people should be put to death if it fits the crime. I'm a firm believer in an Eye for an Eye. If you take someones life, your life should be taken. That said my State no longer does gives out the Death Penalty so, you get off if you commit a malicious crime in my State, In my Opinion....

~Parisdirt