1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIME MACHINE.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by pandahorde, May 5, 2007.

?

Do You Think Time Machine Will Be Invented.

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I dont Know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowman

Snowman Level IV

The only way to travel through time is to go the speed of light like onprogus says, but that would only allow you to go to the future. I'm not sure about the past but someday ill believe they'll make one. Hopefully they'll make warps too.

2. Virre

Virre Level IV

If we are to discover how to make time travels anytime soon, I'm more into some kind of Stargate-thingy.
    Except the wormhole will lead us backwards in time, it will still be set to a location and use some kind of coordinates to navigate.

3. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Actually, if you travel faster than the speed of light, I guess you go to the past?

4. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

You would only need to travel at the speed of light, the theory being that if say someone was about to close a door, and start to do so, then you could travel at the speed of light and arrive before they started to move.

5. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Speed of light? Recently an Earth-like planet was discovered 20-40 light years ago so if we travel with the speed of light to get there...we will go to Earth future? doesn't make sense.

This concept is from the movies and i agree with the Stargate-thingy. I watched all the seasons and there was an episode with the Time-Bubble...which that collonel O'Neil had some fun :?

6. Virre

Virre Level IV

Well traveling at the speed of light and going back in time doesn't sound quite right.
    To travel 20 lightyears at the speed of light would take 20 Julian years so 20 years would still pass when traveling there.
    Going faster than the speed of light doesn't sound accurate either, only over short distances it sounds reasonable to travel back in time, but it still seems a bit fuzzy.

The one where they were hippies at the late 60's? xD

7. petunia

petunia Level II

Hardly anything is impossible, although I think time travel is better left alone. I think most things happen for a reason, and time travel could seriously screw things up... unless you're Hiro Nakamura. :D

8. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

it's the other way around... we had a disscussion similar to this a while ago.

If you go faster than the speed of light it will be possible for you to travel into the future.

It will never be possible to travel into the past. It is breaking too many laws of our universe.

But yes. I believe someday we will figure out how to travel into the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity

pay particular attention to:

Time dilation: Moving clocks tick slower than an observer's "stationary" clock

9. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

10. Snowman

Snowman Level IV

Yeah exactly what punkeydew says is exactly right because Eisteins theory of relativity shows it

11. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

lol funny you should post that. I was JUST reading it.

It says to travel forward you must travel ALMOST the speed of light... because clocks will never really reach the speed of light. That the closer to the spped of light you travel time almost stops.

The wonders that could await us. Isn't the universe so...full of awe?

12. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Also Einstein Theory tell us that the Universe is still expanding (that means that it's not infinite) so that does mean that distances are getting larger? increasing the chances to travel through time? :p

13. Virre

Virre Level IV

That is not quite scientific of you to state :p
    We use the hypthetical-deductive method when researching, which means roughly means that we form a theory, we perform test implications and we see if the test implications lead to either;
    A. Falsifying the theory.
    - This means that we have truly showed that the teory is incorrect.
    B. Shows that the theory is probable.
    - We cannot verify a theory, we can only say that it is probable since we are unaware of factors that may change the expecectations in the future, or those that we are unaware of.

This whole thing basicly means that we cannot verify anything, only falsify and make sow that our theories are probable.
    Therefore we really cannot say that time travels (in the future or back in time) are probable or false.
    Yet. ;)

The hypothetical-deductive (and it's predecessor, inductive) method is not only a topic for science, it is well discussed in philosphy as well.
    So I get to talk about it two times :D

Also, the new string theory and the ten dimensions that are being discussed alot these days have several ways of explaining time travel.
    This is a great flash that explains the theory quite well.
    Click on "Imagining the Tenth Dimension".
    I hope everyone takes a look at it, since it's not only interesting for those that are 'into' these kind of things :p

14. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

true

But I am also a scientific person. And when I say never... what I really mean is untill proven otherwise or more research supports.

That comes naturally to me. It is just more of a habit/beliefe for me to say never.

But I truely believe that we will not be able to travel backwards in time. there are theories on this. The 2nd law of thermodynamics talks about entropy. Entropy basically means the universe spontaneously gets messier. The universe is spreading out. It's getting "messier"

By traveling backward in time we are breaking this law. Because time also goes forward getting messier. And going backward in time would make things "neater"

I firmly believe this.

15. Virre

Virre Level IV

Well I guess it depends on how one defines time traveling.
    I'm a big fan of the ten dimensions theories, and for me, time traveling would be somewhat similar to jumping between alternate realities rather than going back (and/or forth which we do everyday :p) betweenthese alternate realities.
    I do not belive in the concept of time-traveling in only our reality, but I do belive in a big probability of the one including these 'jumps' between separate ones. =)

16. NHStephen

NHStephen Level IV

i think there is one how do u think bush won and bill gates got rich

17. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

I kinda like this theory of travelling different realities but how can it be possible to fold the time ? :lol:

18. Virre

Virre Level IV

For me, the answer would be worm holes.
    Although I have no idea of how we would be able to control a phenomena like it.
    Yet. ;)

19. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

Even if we do find a way to travel through time (I hesitate to use the word machine) it would be in the governments own interest for them to keep it completely under wraps. If every Joe Schmo could travel through time to take care of every grudge or whim we'd literally be unraveled at the seams. I think the fact that we're living in a functioning world right now proves that either we never found a way to travel through time, or very few people were ever able to attempt it.

20. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Maybe speeding up an object near the light speed? or magnetic influence on mather ? or using the gravity to bend the forces in a single conglomerate thingy and making an artificial Big-Bang ? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.