1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Spank or Not to Spank

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by peanutpunk, Oct 28, 2007.

?

How do you feel about Spanking kids?

1. pro

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. against

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

ok lets make it illigal then... just don't be crying when the world is up it it's head with crime.

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT FTW

2. cardenal

cardenal Level III

thats the only way that some kids can be disciplined, by showing them the physical consequences of their actions. You're not causing them serious pain. You're not bullying them. It won't leave them traumatised [in 99% of cases]

I don't see anything wrong with it, in reason

it is illegal in some countries. I can tell you that in South Africa, as kids, we had the snot kicked out of us [by older kids, and parents] if we stepped out of line. We learnt not to step out of line

3. Virre

Virre Level IV

No, it is beating them.
    Someone pointed out earlier, that the kids in the US are the "bratietst".
    And to spank your children seems to be quite common.
    Am I the only one that can see a connection here? ;)

4. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

I guess so because i don't... Yes our kids are the brattiest... why you ask?

BECAUSE WE STOPPED SPANKING 30 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!

5. kolby998

kolby998 Level I

spanking them will actually make them more aggressive and how you are rubbs out on your kids.

6. Virre

Virre Level IV

You say that, but there seems to be alot of people here under 30 that have been spanked.
    So your argument fails on that.

7. cardenal

cardenal Level III

Uhm... SA still allows spankings. our kids are quite well behaved.
    and I think UK children are actually the brattiest o_O

I think that there is a fine line between a spanking and a beating. and some parents don't see that line, but a lot of them do.
    as I said, in reason, I think spanking can be a good thing. [if not done every day, and only if the child has really done something wrong]

8. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

exactly, very well put.

*sigh*
    :nope:
    again im speaking in general...

9. Virre

Virre Level IV

I don't agree.
    I think there are different levels of beating, but spanking still one level of beating.
    You're causing someone physical pain, that is beating them.
    Physical pain should never be inflicted on someone for other reason than self defense, and I can't see how you could raise your hand at your kids and claim to do it for their good.
    It's not for them, it's for you, since you're too fed up with them.
    If it's gone to the point that you feel like you need to beat them, you should know that it is you who have made a mistake during the upbringing of the child.
    And the child should not suffer from that.
    Be patient, be firm, but don't inflict physical pain.

You can't just brush it off by saying that you're speaking in general. How the heck would you know what happens "in general"? Many people would probably not even admit that they spank their kids, at least not to complete strangers. But I'm guessing you can read minds?
    Refer to statistics or keep to what you can say from the board.
    Heck, I should just have replied "They are too, in general". It would have contributed to the debate just as much as your post.
    *sigh**sigh**sigh**sigh**cough**sigh**sigh**sigh**sigh*

10. cardenal

cardenal Level III

you don't spank a child because you're fed up with them [at least, thats not why I would/do]

For the record, I helped to raise my neice, who is now 7. She doesn't listen, ever. She doesn't care that what she's doing in wrong [she said so in so many words], and she doesn't care about how what she does affects other people.
    I know that you can say that "yes, she's young" but this is when they build the foundations for moral character.
    The physical pain of a spanking lasts less than 5 minutes, but they learn to associate the bad deed with a bad reaction, therefore they will be less likely to do it in the future.

11. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

:| :| :| wow, well

like you said i can't know who does or doesn't "beat" {as you so call it.}their child, but im going by race {call me a stereotypical racist bitch idgaf} in my country the majority is white... in my country the whites don't hit their kids... the blacks and hispanics do {that's the minorities}.

12. Mastercjb

Mastercjb Level IV

Spanking kids is an alright way to disaplen them. However I think there are better ways of dealing with things like that, Like Taking away the door, grounding, ect.

13. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

:maha: :maha: :maha: :maha: :maha: :maha:

taking away my door?? that so wouldn't work in my house

14. Virre

Virre Level IV

It might not be the only reason, but I can imagine that its hard to not cross the line here.
    To take an example, if a child paints all over your apartment, would you as a pro-spanker (I like that word) not spank it even though you're mad? Would you see the difference between that you're upset and that you want to teach the child a lesson? Would the lesson be not to upset you as a parent? Would that not be the same thing as spanking it because you're upset?
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that you should let your kid do whatever he/she wants without thinking about consequences. I just think taking away telly, toys, dessert etc. would be sufficent to make the child associate what it did with the bad reaction.
    Spanking would probably do the same, but that's what I meant with taking the easy way.

Again, support your accusations or just stop it.
    Tell me what people in here that say that are white, choose between those who says that they've been spanked.
    You can't claim to speak of the white in general. You say you would spank your kid and I'm guessing you're white as you chose that group, isn't that enough for you to realize that other white people do that as well?

15. cardenal

cardenal Level III

me and my ex could show you quite a few ways that you can get around being grounded without your parents ever finding out :D

16. Cheeto

Cheeto Level IV

Definately against it.
    Story time! A guy I knew parents abused him constantly. Which led him to smoking, cutting and drugs. What happened? he got it worst everynight. Windex in the eyes, being locked away and starved.
    Until finally...he gave up. He had come down with lung cancer and couldn't handle it. He killed himself.

All because of child abuse.

So I am definately against it.

17. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

um im not talking about 0-5year old kids. im talkin 6and up when the kid should already know right from wrong.

18. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

sorry to go off on you.. really. :)

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ABUSE AND DISCIPLINE!!!!!!

19. Cheeto

Cheeto Level IV

You went off on me? o_O

20. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

not really i just meant the caps... that usually means im yelling :D