Tutorial | Soft Glowing Image Effect for Photoshop

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Guides' started by incendia, Dec 5, 2008.

1. incendia

incendia Level I

This is a tutorial on how to create an image with a soft glowing dreamlike effect using Adobe Photoshop. The image is from http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1111651 by agastecheg.

1) Create a duplicate layer of the image by right clicking on the layer & selecting duplicate layer.

2) The new layer should be automatically selected. In the layers window choose Lighten from the drop down Menu.

3) Select Filter from the drop down menu at the top of the screen, then Blur, then Gaussian Blur and adjust until you get your desired effect.

I've attached before & after images.

2. chloe_____

chloe_____ Newbie

Nice guide..
    I like the picture before it is changed more though. :p
    What are some examples that you would use this technique?

3. incendia

incendia Level I

Thank you. :)

A lot of people like to use this technique for family photographs and baby albums because it makes the image more dreamlike. It's effects on a landscape photograph are also amazing, especially on water.

A lot of commercials you've seen on television including anything family related, psa's, or political ads use this softening effect with their video cameras.

4. CoS

CoS Level IV

I see what you mean about the dream likeness :)
    Nice little guide :)

In the correct circumstances this would work nicely but i also prefer that image before it was edited.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT Sorry never realised previous post was a gravedig :/