1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by goncalo, Oct 2, 2007.

?

Vegetarianism?

1. I'm for it.

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. I'm not for it.

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

You're right there. By increasing the food production rate you can feed much more people and that's a good thing.

Actually, I meant 9%, type mistake.

It may not be but as a debate you're supposed to state your opinions I guess. Everything in this thread is opinions and doctors also have opinions. Some think it's wonderful and some think it's radical.
    It's really up to you what kind of diet you want to follow, there're pros and cons in each one but imo, I guess that a balanced diet (including every type of food) is more 'safe'.

2. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

When I go out with my friends, we usually eat fast foods.
    Do vegetarians find that their options are very limited when going out with mates and eating? Even the chips at certain fast food restaurants are fried in animal fat, so how careful are you in choosing what to eat?

3. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

My friends and I usually go to vegan friendly restaurants. Surprisingly, there are a lot of options.

4. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

I don't understand the meaning of vegetarianism as way of life. Why shouldn't I eat meat?
    I don't agree with the violence on animals... but I generally eat only meat that comes from protected breedings, and I prefer to not eat strange and uncommon games, like deer's, dove's or boar's 'cause I think it's stupid looking for esotic flavours when you can limit yourself to meat that don't need to be hunted.

5. noncheatercheater

6. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

Oh well, dunno the brand... anyway I thought that the vegetarianism meaning went especially from other causes... like the violence on animals, and not from these things.
    Anyway I don't go to McDonald or these typical american things... never trusted them x3 Here where I live, we eat meat that come from the factory near our cities. Never bought meat in supermarkets... only from butcher shop that have fresh meats. Also the flavour is peerless with tined meats :/

7. noncheatercheater

It's a mix of everything.

8. Virre

Virre Level IV

I can eat at both BK and McD, as long as I ask for a veggie burger without dressing. Or I could just eat a pizza with no cheese.
    They only fry chips in vegtable oil and they make the veggie burgers on the side. I've worked at McD, and asked around at BK, so I know this for sure. It's probably different in other countries though.
    There's pretty much always something you can eat there. =)

9. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

It is a matter of what one believes in. If u do not feel that there is a need to avoid meat then go ahead and eat meat. But there are people that actually feel that we shouldn't eat meat. I feel that we should respect their decisions.

There is no right or wrong or no agreeing or disagreeing in such situations.

10. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

Yes, in fact I didn't say that I don't agree with them and don't respect them. Only I don't understand the vegetarianism in particular situations...
    In this topic has been demonstrated that there are a lot of reasons for the vegetarianism, but not all of them are applicable all over the world. I come from a very different reality, where vegetarianism is really strange to hear, just because there aren't these conditions of unsure factories or animal abuses.
    A schoolmate of mine was vegetarian too... a fantastic person, even if sometimes she was more kind with animals than with people x3

11. Xizavo

Xizavo Level III

I feel soryr for the animals and I have friends who are vegitarians and couldnt give a stuff about animals.
    I tried to go vegetarian once. I did the whole thing, just ate salads, fruit, vegies, cheese etc but then my parents and I went out to one of my favourite restraunts and I couldnt resist.
    Besides meat provides you with crucial vitamins your body needs. You may think its good to just eat vegies, toast etc but your body can become weak

12. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

Well, there are a lot of theories about it... meat is not so necessary for an adult. Meat's proteins can be found elsewhere such in eggs or fish, and replaced with vegetable proteins.
    But they're necessary for a child, and it's very important to remember for two vegetarian parents :/
    Statistics has demonstrated that vegetarian people have often a better healt... but I think it's possible only if a person is yet healty enough to live without meat ^^'

13. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4282257.stm
    I think that's a fair article on the point you brought up. It's got arguments on both sides.

14. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

Meat is not the sole provider of its crucial vitamins. I have read somewhere that Soya beans can totally replace meat in terms or nutritional content.

15. Virre

Virre Level IV

Well there's no doubt that children shouldn't be fed strictly vegan food. I'd never raise my kid on a vegan diet when I get one.
    When my kid got older though, I'd put them on a vegetarian diet.
    It's just too hard to know exactly what to feed them.

16. noncheatercheater

I think it's more important that parents feed their young children organic food. Absolutely nothing processed. But that's just my opinion. I think all the processed food we eat when we were younger affect our entire being as adults. Buuut that's another discussion.

17. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

But I hope that you'll let your children choose their own way :/

For the link... with a nurse as mom, I knew yet these things, but thanks anyway for the confirmation Commyaji!

18. cardenal

cardenal Level III

well, I'm a vegan, as is my best friend. we've both been vegetarians since we were about 12...
    I can't be a good advertisement for the vegan way of life, coz a little while back I was struggling with an eating disorder [part of the reason I became a vegan] and I haven't been extremely healthy since then.
    My friend however is the healthiest she's ever been.

I swear by a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, but that's just me. I can't stand the thought of putting meat into my mouth. [but my siblings are both practically carnivores]
    also, the way they treat animals is horrendous.

19. the_skip

the_skip Level IV

while back I was struggling with an eating disorder [part of the reason I became a vegan That is what is bad, if you want to be a vegan really read up on it. Try not being a totaly vegan but eat some other stuff and you'll be healithier and try to take some multivitamins that would help. Make sure it has b12 in it since that is a meat only product. And i am ok with vegatarians as long as they are healthy and not in your face.

20. Virre

Virre Level IV

What? Just like any meat eating parent would feed their kid meat, I would put mine on a vegetarian diet (when they're old enough).
    If they choose to eat meat later, then there's nothing I can do about it. But as soon as they're old enough to be put on a vegetarian diet, I'll do that.
    Just like any other parent would share their values with their children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.