1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by goncalo, Oct 2, 2007.

?

Vegetarianism?

1. I'm for it.

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. I'm not for it.

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K1TT3N

K1TT3N Level I

Im not a vegiterian, but I can understand people who are. Its just against their beliefs i guess.

2. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

What if the child resists from the start? Would you still force the child to be vegetarian?

3. cardenal

cardenal Level III

from the start would be from when the child is born. if they grow up with it, they don't know any better. besides, when you're little, Mommy always knows best, remember?

it was when your parents suddenly, when you were 3 or 4, tried to shove brocolli down your throat that you kicked up a fuss. but if you were raised on something, it becomes normal...

4. soccermadness90

"from the start" meaning after the child is old enough. That would be later on in life, meaning that the child will have opinions and might kick up a fuss. putting a child on a veg diet after birth is akin to murder. Who would do that.

5. cardenal

cardenal Level III

how do you figure?
    you're not exactly gonna feed a baby steak, now are you?
    alot of baby food is just mashed up vegetables...

and, when the child is old enough to make rational, logical decisions about his/her future, then sure, why can't they choose whether or not they want to be a vegetarian? I made up my mind when I was 12 that I wouldn't eat meat...
    Vegetarians are normal people too, you know...

6. soccermadness90

i dont think u get what i am saying.

Firstly, when i said child i meant a new born baby. A growing baby needs certain vitamins and minerals for growth. Not all these can be gained from eating veg alone. So if u deprive a baby from these essentials, would it not be akin to murder?

Secondly, this is what i said:
    i did not say that a child should not make rational decisions. In fact i was supporting the making of rational decisions by questioning Virre what he will do if the child resist his actions from the start. He said that he would not mind if his child "chooses to eat meat later" but i was just wondering what would he do if his child never wanted to be vegetarian in the first place.

Finally, i never said that vegetarians are abnormal. I think that they are normal people and that it is their personal decision to abstain from meat.

hope u understand what i mean. :yup:

7. Virre

Virre Level IV

I don't see why it would, it's not like I would be saying "From now on you'll only be fed vegtables, mwahahaha!". And after a while it would just become a habit for the child.
    Like it was a habit for me to eat meat as a kid, as I was sharing my parent's values.

And kids resist all the time, they don't want to eat fish or vegtables, they just want ice cream and candy. But after ten minutes they'll be eating whatever food they're served. =)

8. cardenal

cardenal Level III

I was also talking about a new born baby. You can get all the nutrients you need from a vegetarian diet, as you would read, if you read back to the first couple of pages of this topic.
    and like I said, most baby food is just mashed up vegetables, no meat involved, so its vegetarian anyway.

I would like to know how you're gonna feed your new born baby meat though, because that will be a sight to see...

9. Virre

Virre Level IV

Doctors recommend that you don't put your newborn child on a strictly vegetarian or vegan diet.
    I would never do it.
    And alot of baby food contains mashed meat as well.

10. soccermadness90

i guess u are right. They would eat whatever they are served. Partially because they have no choice. haha
    Humans are biologically omnivorous. So generally many people get both veg and meat. ( i am not saying that being vegetarian is wrong) So, yes, baby food does not only contain veg and it would be healthier for a baby to have a balanced diet. Have u heard of the food pyramid?

11. cardenal

cardenal Level III

You're right, you know... but now I'm just thinking of someone feeding their baby liquidised steak...
    and a baby should probably only be put on a vegetarian diet after the first few months, after the first year or so.
    but saying that it's akin to murder... thats taking it a bit too far

yes. Have you heard of the vegetarian food pyramid?

and I never said that ALL baby food is vegetarian. merely pointing out that a few of them are.

12. soccermadness90

ok maybe it is a tad too far. sorry for that.

oooo.... the vegetarian food pyramid? Interesting. Never hard of it. Care to explain?

13. cardenal

cardenal Level III

14. soccermadness90

it does explain what a veggie food pyramid is but it does not show the actual pyramid.

15. Virre

Virre Level IV

Yes, I agree. Especially since many vegetarians and vegans consider eating meat as murder.
    People who put their newborn childs on stricty vegetarian or vegan diets aren't murders, they just don't know better. Their mistake is to not do enough research as they think that if they can survive on their diet, so should anyone else.

16. cardenal

cardenal Level III

I think its a rather easy mistake to make. I mean, if I hadn't done so much research on it, I don't even think I would be eating enough/the right stuff to keep me healthy.

17. soccermadness90

Eating the right stuff is important for one to stay healthy. This is especially so for a vegetarian. As they do not eat meat it would be easier for them to neglect a certain type of vitamins and minerals and hence become unhealthy. I guess we must know our stuff before actually deciding on something important like this.

18. sjoniie

sjoniie Level I

I think as long as the animal had a good life its OK to eat it

19. noncheatercheater

agreed

which is why I hate factories because NONE of those animals have had a good life.

20. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

It's also easy for meat eaters to neglect certain types of vitamins and minerals. For example, my friend is on a pure protein diet. He eats nothing but chicken, and tuna, and drinks nothing but protein shakes. That can't be healthy. It goes both ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.