What do you think makes a sport?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chrisw2525, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inqwire

inqwire Level IV

any activity that has a winner or loser and can make you sweat

2. Zapno

Zapno Level II

I dissagree. Any activity with a winner, and loser PERIOD is a sport. You all try to go too far with definitions which often causes them to lack sence. Someone could play basketball without sweating, so does that mean that it is not a sport?

3. goldrush

goldrush Level II

maybe the thing that makes it a sport is that it has a limited duration and there is a prize at the end, a victors crown if you will. If there were no prize there would be no sport. This would divide sports into two catagories, those that are real sports that garner a prize (generally at the higher levels of the sport) and those that are done for recreation, like scuba diving or jogging for the sake of jogging.

4. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

a sport must require some physical skill. it must also consist of some sort of strategy or mental aspect. this eliminates chess from being a sport because it requires no physical skill. it also eliminates weight lifting because it requires no real mental aspect.

5. goldrush

goldrush Level II

I don't think the mental aspect is actually needed in sports though, think about it, how many basketball/baseball/football etc etc etc players have you seen that are dumb as a post? I think the physical aspect is the sole needed thing for a true sport, the mental aptitude for it is a bonus.

6. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

yea, they are dumb in general, but they know their game well.

7. yeng

yeng Level III

yes i agree with this...

8. Zapno

Zapno Level II

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, freekin wrong. Everything requires physical skill. The ability to move your body is physical skill, and therfore your definition only leaves strategy as a possibility. Next you must consider how few sports take strategy. Basketball, soccer, swimming, racing, baseball, tennis. These are a FEW which strategy is not always used in.

9. goldrush

goldrush Level II

The physical skill aspect goes along with this post, not soley physical skill, heck then everything would be considered sports and we'd ahve our weekends to work

10. Zapno

Zapno Level II

I can actualy see your definition as making sence, although I personaly would try to keep it simpler.

11. goldrush

goldrush Level II

Yeah, I guess I do have the gift of gab don't I? :wink:

12. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

basketball, baseball, and soccer dont require strategy? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. goldrush

goldrush Level II

every sport takes some kind of strategy, whther it's intense practice, tricking the other team into thinking you're going the opposite way you are, timing it so you can get around or jump over the opposite team, strategy is part of any game, though it may be trivial. some of the guys are not the brightest, but they still have to know a bit about whats going on

14. Zapno

Zapno Level II

Not quite true. A sport such as basketball could be entirely played without strategy. Unless you actualy make a new word to describe basketball played with strategy then basketball is an umbrella term refering to all aspects of the sport.If two kids play basketball by doing random things without realy thinking about why does that not mean that it has the possibility of being played without strategy? You could say that winning professional sports takes strategy, but a sport does not necesarily have to be professional.

15. goldrush

goldrush Level II

I'll give you that one any sport can be played without strategy at the lower unprofessional levels. when you get into the professional levels however things drastically change

16. X Joe Kickass X

X Joe Kickass X Level IV

tennis is a great example of lop's post. you need a fit body so that takes out physcial and you have to do alot of runnning and knowing how much power and stuff is mental

17. bititid0

bititid0 Level III

analyzing opponents is strategy. plays are strategy. things like fake right go left, post up, jump shot, deciding what to do is strategu based on your and your opponent's skill

18. chrisw2525

chrisw2525 Level IV

ya, thanks those r all very so true

19. goldrush

goldrush Level II

you know even at the laerning stages of any sport some small bits of strategy come into play, can we seperate the ability to strategize (in the confines of a given game) and the intellect of a player?

20. test123

test123 Level IV

hey

i believe a sport must involve physical activity..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.